HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 09:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
19426 Posts in 1377 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Mom Not Feeding Kids
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Mom Not Feeding Kids  (Read 97 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: May 13, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »

Yesterday my 6 yr old doe delivered buck twins - went easily, kids healthy.  But she's not nursing them.  The only episodes I've experienced with this issue have been 1st  fresheners.  This doe has never had this problem, always a good mom.  She is strong and healthy and her udder is nice and full and I can't detect any mammary problems on the surface.  I have to hold her to let the kids feed and she fights me.
Any thoughts or ideas I can ponder?  I hate to resort to bottle feeding but of course I will if this doesn't clear up.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 02:31:57 PM »

Is there any way that maybe she was distracted during birthing and doesn't think they are hers??

If you can restrain her enough that they can nurse that is exactly what I would do.

Keep her penned with them ( as long as she isn't trying to hurt them)  and just go out every few hours and let them fill up pretty good.  She has milk so why not use it and no messing with heating & bottles  Wink

I have had to do this on a few does over the years for a variety of reasons and every single time they have eventually went to nursing them on their own.

Good luck.  I bet she will come round.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:24:49 AM »

I agree with Julie....there had to be something that distracted her or made her fearful of the kids when she delivered for her to refuse her babies.

Maybe she had them where another scent of another Does babies were and her babies now smells like that other does babies.  A thought might be to rub their momma's urine or poo on them to make them smell like hers, or even her milk rubbed up the back of their legs might help them to smell like her babies.  They identify their babies by smelling their bottoms.  So maybe they don't smell like she wants them to smell.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »

I was with her when she delivered.  In a stall of her own just like all my moms.  I did not see anything that would distract her.  She did not reject them, just wouldn't nurse.
But lo and behold, last night she called them to feed and again this morning so hurrah!  She's still not acting mother of the year, but as long as the kids are getting their meals I'm happy.  I guess maybe she just had a delayed reaction to motherhood (or figured out it was Mother's Day!) 
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »

So glad to hear that everything is going well now  Smiley

These goats sure keep us on our toes!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 05:22:13 AM »

That is good news....real happy to hear this.  Yep as Julie said, Goats will be sure to keep you on your toes and second guessing the knowledge you think you had.  Grin Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: