HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 02:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1577 Posts in 72 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Do goats sing?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Do goats sing?  (Read 215 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: May 16, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »

The other night when I was feeding Lily, after she ate her grain, she had her face buried in her manger, eating just fine,  and I swear, she was humming or singing to herself.  She's about three years old, not pregnant, and as far as I can tell, is healthy.  It was a beautiful and very melodious song, but I wonder if anyone else has ever heard this, or if it's an indication of anything wrong.

Has anyone else ever seen/heard this?

Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:21:02 AM »

No, Pat...I can't say as I have.  I know they will hum if they are in labor, or in pain, or sometimes grieving, but never have I heard a perfectly healthy content animal do that.  Amazing how you were able to witness something so awesome huh?

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »

Mine grunt like starving pigs when eating.   Wink
But I have heard a sort of song now & then while resting.
Very cool there, Pat!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Mine make a lot of different noises.  I do have several that make a humming noise that can go on and on .  I have some who never make a sound and some who never shut up Grin

So in answer to your question I am sure that somewhere out there is a singing goat and I guess you have her  Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 10:41:58 AM »

Mine hum, I guess they don't know the words.  Wink

Mostly when they are laying down chewing their cud, I hear them all hum. I love to sneak in at night and listen to them. I hear a variety of humming tones, with an occasional burp thrown in for good measure. Sort of a 12 part harmony, because while no one hums in the same key, all their voices blend in perfectly. Sort of like my Malamutes when they howl.

I do have a couple of Nubians who blat like they are singing.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: