HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2018, 05:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1654 Posts in 79 Topics by 726 Members
Latest Member: chester_boer
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Do goats sing?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Do goats sing?  (Read 388 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: May 16, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »

The other night when I was feeding Lily, after she ate her grain, she had her face buried in her manger, eating just fine,  and I swear, she was humming or singing to herself.  She's about three years old, not pregnant, and as far as I can tell, is healthy.  It was a beautiful and very melodious song, but I wonder if anyone else has ever heard this, or if it's an indication of anything wrong.

Has anyone else ever seen/heard this?

Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:21:02 AM »

No, Pat...I can't say as I have.  I know they will hum if they are in labor, or in pain, or sometimes grieving, but never have I heard a perfectly healthy content animal do that.  Amazing how you were able to witness something so awesome huh?

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »

Mine grunt like starving pigs when eating.   Wink
But I have heard a sort of song now & then while resting.
Very cool there, Pat!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Mine make a lot of different noises.  I do have several that make a humming noise that can go on and on .  I have some who never make a sound and some who never shut up Grin

So in answer to your question I am sure that somewhere out there is a singing goat and I guess you have her  Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 10:41:58 AM »

Mine hum, I guess they don't know the words.  Wink

Mostly when they are laying down chewing their cud, I hear them all hum. I love to sneak in at night and listen to them. I hear a variety of humming tones, with an occasional burp thrown in for good measure. Sort of a 12 part harmony, because while no one hums in the same key, all their voices blend in perfectly. Sort of like my Malamutes when they howl.

I do have a couple of Nubians who blat like they are singing.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »

Goats are just so absolutely, totally wonderful.  Who would ever have guessed that some critter like this could do all they do, and be such good friends to their keepers into the bargain.  It's just a little sad that they are edible, in addition to providing milk, fiber, and weed control, but I guess that's a part of why they're put here.  No wonder goats have been kept for so many thousands of years.

(can I yell?)  I LOVE GOATS!

Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 06:10:23 AM »

It is amazing that the goat has been the number one herd animal for thousands of years.  Long before cattle even.  Seeing the hieroglyphics from the ancient tombs is amazing when goats are carved in with them.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »

I LOVE GOATS TOO !! 

Funny thing was , I had no experience with them at all until 1 day the owner of the boarding stable where I kept my 2 horses ( pre- marriage) took in a dairy goat with her 2 babies.  I was completely captivated by those guys and wanted them ever since.  My husband would not get on board with having them until my youngest son wanted to do them in 4-H.  The rest is history... Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: