HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 03:30:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1579 Posts in 72 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goat losing hair
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Goat losing hair  (Read 77 times)
Audra1966
Bottle Babies

« on: July 07, 2018, 11:29:24 PM »

Goat losing hair coming out in clumps, Do not know why.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »

Mine can sometimes shed out clumpy.  Is there short shiny hair underneath?  If not I am guessing a major mineral deficiency and I would add a high quality mineral ontop of her daily feed ration. Make sure you measure and feed according to the bag.    You might need to add a copper bolus every 6 months as well.

Could be rain rot, lice or mites or a fungus.  Is she itchy or chewing on herself?  Any sores or scabs where the hair has come out?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:37:01 PM by Julie H » Logged
Audra1966
Bottle Babies

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »

This is a Bore doe that does this every year. There is no shiny hair underneath or sores, scabs, rain rot,lice,mites or a fungus. She not overly itchy or chewing on herself.
Could it be some kind of parasites AKA worms?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »

When did she last kid? Some of mine will shed like that about a month or 2 after kidding each year. For them it's caused by hormones.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »

Your right Dragon.  I didn't think about a few I have that look something awful after kidding until they are all shed out.   

What type of minerals do you feed?  Do you copper bolus?  Goat blocks?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 05:37:14 AM »

Hormonal or Mineral deficiency is what I'm going to guess.  I "guess" because we don't see the goat itself, unless you can post pictures.  Lice/Mites, can be hard to detect with the naked eye.  Rain Rot will look leathery skinned.  If the areas that have hair missing are red and hot to the touch, a vet trip is recommended.

I'm wondering, do you use a topical wormer or fly/tick prevention?  If so, stop those immediately.  This would be an allergic reaction to one or both of those.  Goats tend to not do well with topical products.

It would help if we knew her circumstances.  Last time she was copper bolus'd was?  Last time she was wormed, and with what?  Minerals you use, and are they specifically mixed for your area and your soil? 

Lots of things could be causing this.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: