HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2018, 11:43:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1636 Posts in 76 Topics by 726 Members
Latest Member: chester_boer
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Anyone Use Levamectin?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Anyone Use Levamectin?  (Read 250 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: June 27, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »

I noted today that this dewormer which was unavailable for awhile is now back on the market.  I was not familiar with it - apparently a Russian med that combines Ivermectin with Levamisole.  It's touted as even stronger/better than Cydectin.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 01:20:30 AM »

Wow, where did you find it? I mix the 2 together when I am introducing a new goat to my herd, didn't know you could get it already done!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:41:18 AM »

Levamisole almost killed my Mercy Goat.  The breeder gave it to her and she almost died.  I've known many many goat herders across the U.S. that lost goats to Levamisole.  Again the same with Valbazen.  It's a risk you take when you give either one.  I know less people who have had good luck with it, than those that haven't.  I just won't risk it.  Again too many safe wormers on the market to chance it.  We basically stuck with Ivomec, Panacur, Dectomax and Cydectin, and I rotated my wormers, and did just fine.  No reactions, no worm over loads, no lice/mites.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »

It's a supply co. called Ramhead in Georgia.  I know Levamisole was taken off the market awhile back and then returned.  I did use it (Levasole)   some time back and it worked, but because of the cautionary tales I no longer do. 
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »

I used it before they took it off the market, it is one of the few that have been cleared for use in goats. They stopped making it because they couldn't get one of the ingredients used to make it. Once they could get it again, they started making and selling it. I use it on all new goats in my 3 dewormer cocktail- usually Cydectin, Prohibit (levamisole) and Valbazon. I have never had an issue with either levamisole or Valbazon, I have used them for years. You have to know the weight of your goat and be pretty accurate in dosing.  Most people just guess, which not only can cause an overdose, it also can cause the wormer to lose effectiveness, if underdosed. Under dosing is one of the reasons the worm meds are not working any more.

I checked Ramhead and the site said they were not selling it right now. It's made in Russia. Boohoo.  I wish we could get some of the new de-wormers they have in Australia and New Zealand. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 02:41:38 PM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »

I looked it up online too and saw that it was unavailable as well.  I have used Valbazen too with no issues.  I do use a weight tape and add a bit according to that as I can't judge weight by looking at all   Roll Eyes
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »

The reason it's not available is the guy who runs Ramhead - pretty much a one man band - is going through a serious illness and has had to shut down the company.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: