HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2018, 12:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19481 Posts in 1387 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Broken leg
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Broken leg  (Read 208 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: June 02, 2018, 08:23:52 PM »

My son just called me here at work. He and his girlfriend where feeding the bottle kids and found the newest doeling, 3 weeks old, with a broken rear leg. He said the bone was snapped in half. They are going to splint it best they can until I can get home after work. I got a few supplies here at work, so hopefully I can get her leg set straight so the bone will set correctly. I have her, her brother and her mother being put back in their small stall to limit her movement for now.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »

Oh that's so sad.  Sure hate to hear this.  Bone infection is your worst enemy right now...get her on some high powered bacterial antibiotics Deb.  Rockytopsis and Dixiecup both lost goats to broken legs that had mended but the bone infection killed them.  Keep us updated on how she is doing.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »

Bad break, entire lower leg bone is snapped in half, just above the fetlock joint. My son got it wrapped, splinted and stabilized for me but I had to remove it as it was too tight and had cut off the circulation. I was given some stuff from work and got it rewrapped. This morning her foot is warm and she is walking a bit, enough to eat. I have mom and the 2 kids in their maternity pen, so it's small and she doesn't have to do a lot of walking.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:22:03 AM »

how's she doing now?  I do hope this baby makes it. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »

She's hopping around the tiny stall and getting around enough to eat. Hoof is warm, so the circulation is still there.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »

Poor baby  Cry  It sounds like she is doing ok.  I hope she helps well and has no complications.   Any idea what might have happened??
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 06:15:08 AM »

This sounds pretty good for the terrible break that she has.  Hopefully she continues to do well.  I'm praying for the little girl.  Have you named her? 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 03:43:51 PM »

Her name is Hersey, she's the same color as Hersey chocolate.

She must have climbed up and gotten her foot stuck and then either tried to jump down or was butted off by another goat.

She was doing well up until last night. Sometime during the wee hours of the morning (I finished final after work chores at 0200), Hersey lost her splint (I think her mother probably stepped on it and the leg slipped out). When I found her this morning, the leg was swollen and the break had rebroken. I rebandaged her leg and am hoping for the best.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:30:59 AM »

Awww...that poor baby.  Deb do you have her on banamine?  That must be awful painful.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »

Oh NO !!  Poor girl  Cry
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »

Early on she was on Banamine, but I won't give it to them more than 3 days in a row. It causes stomach issues.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 05:28:42 AM »

banamine is hard on those babies for sure...but the pain is even harder.  I tried that Arnica Montana that Lori (Sweetgoats) used...it works after about 2 days of giving it, but you have to give so much of it too many times throughout the day.  I couldn't afford that for very long.  Ice packs were cheaper...lol.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »

I have been letting mom and kids out of that tiny pen for a few hours during the day. They have free run of the barns midway. Nike, the buckling, was escaping anyway and giving his mother fits, so I let them wander and get some exercise After before work chores until my son shows up to water and feed the bottle kids in the evening. Hersey seems to be holding her own as long as she doesn't get the splint off again.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »

Glad to hear she is holding her own.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:33 AM »

Well that's good to hear.  Sounds promising.  I'll bet they were getting stir crazy.  Babies tend to do that.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: