HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 03:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1579 Posts in 72 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Broken leg
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Broken leg  (Read 418 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »

So, Hershey had managed to get her splint off twice, both times re-breaking the healing bone. The 3rd time I had to resplint it,  it finally stayed on. (I used vet wrap). Now, a little over a month later she was bouncing and hopping so I took it off. The break has healed but there is a good sized calcium deposit at the break site and her hoof now tips out a little. No show career for her, sigh, and probably no buyers either. But, at least she is healthy and not lame.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 01:32:12 PM »

I am glad she healed ( despite her interference!)  Maybe a home as a pet would be in her future??
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 03:55:05 PM »

I'd be afraid to send her to a pet home. Up here, people are taking goats as pets but lying and reselling them to meat buyers.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 01:02:54 PM »

oops...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:04:57 PM by Julie H » Logged
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »

Shocked

That is an awful thing to do.  Are prices that good up there?  We have kind of fallen here lately.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »

No, prices are not great up here, but some of the bigger dealers ship down to Pennsylvania where the prices are very good. These people will take anything, even super producing, well bred does, they don't care. There are flippers up here that will deal down an owner, especially newer ones, so they get really nice animals or pets for cheap or free and then turn around and sell them for meat to a dealer. Some of the flippers have been caught by local owners and their names plastered on local sites, but some people don't have access to them or never think to check.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 05:42:55 AM »

oh lord, I hate those kind of people.  Livestock traders is what they are called down south.  I bet you remember what happened with me and an ex-member of the forum who did that to me with 3 bucks she bought from me, under contract that when she was finished with them that they return to me.  Oh yeah, I did every thing I could to bankrupt her and I finally got it done...with the help of another forum member who lived further south.  She will never be able to buy, sell or trade another goat.  Totally black balled her so bad that we ran her out of the state.

Deb, maybe we should have had the vet set her little leg and put a cast on it?  I'm wondering if he could still do that?  I've seen it done before.  Shame she has this deformity.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »

There is no decent goat vet in my area. I am not going to put her through a break and more time in a cast. She really isn't deformed, most bones will build up a calcium deposit around a break, and there is no guarantee that the hoof wouldn't be twisted because she managed to get the cast/splint off.

Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »

Oh, how I wish you were closer...I'd bring that little girl home and spoil her rotten.  You could probably smell her from your place if the wind was right!)  She'd never be bred (we decided we weren't going to do that with any of our doelings), she'd be spoiled and a little too fat (vet fussed at us, and so all of our boys and girls have slimmed down a bit.)  They're all a lot too big and heavy to be lap goats any more, but they're still cuddle-bunnies (and, in the case of Beans, butt rubbers.)

Glad she's doing so well.  You're  a marvelous goat-mom.  Do you think she can handle a breeding/pregnancy with the leg?  If she can, and if she's got the bloodlines you want, the break shouldn't be a problem....ancient history.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »

Oh, it's healed quite well and she is jumping and bouncing all around the place. I'm sure by the time she would be bred (She's only 12 weeks or so now) her leg will be fine. I just don't want her going for slaughter.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: