HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 03:07:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1579 Posts in 72 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Kid w/ white eyelids
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Kid w/ white eyelids  (Read 139 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: June 18, 2018, 05:53:38 PM »

Writing for a friend's 5 week old kid who I think started losing color 2 weeks ago. On vet's advice she treated 3 day Safeguard, treated for any external parasites and gave molasses and Fortified B daily. He's apparently not improving.  I think she's waiting on fecal results.  Sounds like a worm problem - Barberpole?
Wondering if Ferrodex might be warranted to get more iron into him?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »

Vitamin E gel w/ selenium added is a good iron supplement.  You most certainly have to be careful when giving this to young babies.  You can overdose them very easily and very quickly.  The barber pole worm is the worm that causes anemia.

Anemia has to be healed slowly in young babies.  Too much too fast and they are gone in minutes.

My Caprine Vet in AR and in LA, both said to use Nurti Drench mixed with molasses or dark karo syrup.  You can't overdose that.  I put gave it twice daily and she did pop out of it, and she was totally infested with worms and had major kidney issues.  Safeguard, Ivermectin, and Dectomax are the safest Kid wormers on the market.  If you use the Cydectin sheep drench, remember to follow that up with probiotic and bcomplex.  Dosage is 1cc per 11lbs of body weight given once daily for 3 days.  But an infant baby, I'd do every other day unless the vet advises otherwise.  Safeguard is dosed 1cc per 10lbs of body weight given 5 days in a row.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 09:50:08 PM »

I thought about advising Cydectin but personally have never used it on a young kid.  She did give sel/E.  I'll pass on the Nutridrench/molasses.
Thanks.
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »

Sad to report, the little goat didn't make it. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »

Cry Cry  Very sorry to hear that.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: