HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2018, 11:42:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1636 Posts in 76 Topics by 726 Members
Latest Member: chester_boer
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Drinking Milk Replacer Okay?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Drinking Milk Replacer Okay?  (Read 204 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: June 22, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »

I didn't have any milk in the frig so I decided to mix up my kid replacer.  It wasn't bad, and for my taste better than human powered milk.  Anyone ever drink this and would there be any downside or health issue to this?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »

YUCK  Grin

I looked at the bag I am using on my 2 bottle babies and I would be uneasy with drinking it myself since it is made for animal consumption?  I couldn't find anywhere on the bag that says " not for human consumption or Harmful if swallowed",
So if you still feel ok 12-24 hours after drinking it, then I guess that answers your question.

With all your goats how can you not have milk???
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »

There isn't anything in it that would harm you, not sure of the taste, though. And it is pretty high in fat. Lol I use a lot of animal medication on myself and I do eat treats and nibble on grain and such. I'm still alive and healthy.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:36:02 AM »

Aren't there some of those brands of milk replacers that have scour medications, and prevention med's in them?  If I remember correctly our bottle calf milk replacer had those med's in it.  I haven't ever used the milk replacer for goats yet...we always used the Vitamin D whole milk on our baby goats, or real goats milk...one baby was raised on real cows milk and did great.  So, I don't know if it would harm you or not.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »

This is  Land O Lakes Premium and I see nothing in the ingredients containing any meds.  Just milk products and vitamins/minerals.  It also says nothing about harmful for human consumption.  I've had a few glasses of it and no ill affects.
I too, never use milk replacer for my kids - I only have it because a friend didn't need it and passed it on.  It's also new.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 01:34:02 AM »

Very few of the kid (or lamb)  replacers contains medication, mostly just the calf.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: