HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 03:08:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1579 Posts in 72 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Is hay hard to find??
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Is hay hard to find??  (Read 93 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: July 07, 2018, 01:10:49 PM »

I had no idea that hay was in short supply and big demand here in MO and surrounding states.   Due to our freakish weather our yields were really low.  I am so thankful I have put up enough for my yearly needs, but wish we would have known before hand as we put a 20 acre hay field into soy beans this year and they aren't bringing squat now ( thanks mr. president).  We would have made more money selling hay.  We changed it over to crops last fall as our neighbor who bought 120 round bales every year sold her place after her husband died.

How are you all faring at getting hay??
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 06:10:34 PM »

After a snowy and then wet spring, we had a dry late spring and early summer so hay is probably going to be ok. At least the 1st crop will be. Where it is so dry, they may not be able to get a 2nd crop in. My hay guy isn't haying any more, so I had to convince my straw, oats and shavings guy to bale feed hay, at least enough to feed my critters this coming year. Mostly he puts up mulch hay.

Now I need to find a decent pick up truck to buy so I can haul my hay. My former hay guy did the big round bales and delivered them. I'm nto having much luck finding a pickup that I can afford. Sigh Sad

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 01:39:17 PM »

We have had ample rain, just had a really cold March/ April.   Really set some back.

We are doing a second cutting now.  I hope you can find a truck  Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:52:03 AM »

In central Missouri and up North East Missouri, my family and my friends aren't fairing as well as you Julie.  They are having extreme drought conditions.  Hay is in short supply up there.  Down in Arkansas, my family tells me it's fair well but not producing what it did in the past.  Louisiana, the hay yields are high, and doing great.  Here in Texas its a toss up...we go from feast to famine quickly.  Weeks of drought and then weeks of rain that tends to flood fields. 

Not to start a political debate here, but this isn't the only president to have messed up a farmer....I've not really seen any president from the past do any thing splendid for any farmer.  In 1985 the bottom fell out of the Hog market...President could have stopped that....we had 285 head of sows and 90 head of boar hogs, and countless piglets in feeder lots and nursing moms...when the market fell out, we darn near went bankrupt on our farm.  It's chances all farmers take.  No one can predict what each year will bring. 

Your second cut is about right on time.  We cut in May on our first cut and typically if mother nature provides we take a second cut mid July and then if all goes well a 3rd cut late August to early Sept.  I remember one year in AR that we started early may and didn't stop until late Oct.  The conditions were fantastic that year.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:35:45 PM »

The lady across the road lost her husband to illness last year  and as a result had to sell their place.  She bought 120 big round bales from us every year.  So,  since we were getting such a good price on soybeans and not wanting to put up all that hay with no buyer ,  they sprayed that big field her hay came off of and we planted it in soybeans this yer.  They look great!  But the price of soybeans continues to fall and of course we now know we would have had no problem selling the hay that would have come off that field......

I do thank the current " president" for the falling bean prices.....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: