HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 01:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1593 Posts in 72 Topics by 726 Members
Latest Member: chester_boer
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Doe W/Some Circling
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Doe W/Some Circling  (Read 180 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: July 22, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »

I sent my 9 yr old doe off to a new home along with a couple wethers.  I had observed a few days prior some brief circling.  Very casual just a few times around.  I was watching her for those few days and she didn't do it again.  Well now 2 days into her new home the owner said she wasn't adjusting as well as he'd hoped and he too saw her circle a few times.  He did tell me this morning she was slowly improving, not so agitated, letting him scratch her.
Of course listeriosis and polio rushed into my head, but would it take this long to materialize?  The only ones I've seen came on hard and suddenly.  Should I advise the new owner to maybe give thiamine and Pen?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 03:06:26 PM by ND21st » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »

I would think that if it was listeria or polio, it would have gotten worse and the doe would be dead by now.

Stroke maybe? Something neurological, injury?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 05:24:43 AM »

B1 and Bcomplex would not hurt a thing but could ward off any thing that could get worse.  When in doubt do it.  Hanna took 4 days to go into full blown listeria.  Socks was 7 days and then 3 days in ICU at the vet clinic before it finally took her.  Listeria and Polio are the number one killers of goats.  Never hurts to be over reactive if you feel it's a threat or a symptom shows you a high possibility.

I'm too inclined to think stroke …  I've had one that had a heat stroke, though she never circled like you are talking about she was in bad shape very quickly, but we did save her. 

If there is a vet you could call, it wouldn't hurt to have her checked out.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 08:07:57 AM »

Birdie, did your show any other symptoms than circling?
It's been a week since I first noticed the circling and I would think I would have heard from the owner if things had deteriorated. Maybe it was a slight stroke?  Would age be a factor? 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:27:14 AM »

Yes both did show other symptoms, such as star gazing, shaky on their feet, off food and water.  They got worse a few days after the circling started. 

Heat stroke was about the same type symptoms...body temp was very high.  As with Listeria, the body temp is very high.  The way to tell heat stroke is to pull up the upper eye lid, the veins in that area of the eye will be huge, and dark bloody red.  That means you need to get them treated ASAP.  Heat stroke they are lethargic as well as confused, and weak.

Call a Vet if you can...she needs looked at ASAP.

Start the Bcomplex and Thiamine giving at least once daily.  Check her body temp.  That typically tells you all you need to know, but check that upper eye lid as well.  Age I don't believe has any thing to do with it.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:13:41 AM »

Just heard from the new owner.  Apparently all is well and he says she is way calmer, more sociable, settling in great.  He did not mention any circling. So I think we can safely say enough time has gone by to eliminate serious ill and perhaps it was either a very small stroke or simply a brief behavioral episode.  That was the only "symptom" she exhibited. 
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:48:49 PM »

Maybe she was hit hard by another goat at your place and had some brain/ head/ neck issue because of the trauma ?  Good to hear she is ok now.  I would think the stress of moving would have caused any illness ( if she had one)  to escalate.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »

I'm happy to hear this, and Julie may be right, she might have been rammed by another goat.  I pray she continues to do this well.  It's a touch and go with goats in their senior years.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: