HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 17, 2019, 08:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hello
Welcome!

Stats
1750 Posts in 89 Topics by 727 Members
Latest Member: Dee
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Udders!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Udders!  (Read 198 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: February 08, 2019, 03:20:46 PM »

So, my does will be starting the kidding season soon, with the first due date 02-11-19. I have 4 Nigerians due to start, followed by all the standards. Another Nigerian may be preggo, an oops breeding. Who knows when she will pop.  Embarrassed

Anyway, the udders are filling! Holy cow, one of the does isn't due until the end of this month and her udder is getting huge! The Nigerians udders show great promise of being awesome, well attached and beautifully shaped. I can't wait to see these Nigerian kids, they should be spectacular!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:12:42 AM »

I'm jealous, so very very jealous!!!  I want nigi's so bad.  Not for milking, (but a great added treat) so much as pets with maybe a few babies every now again.  I just don't want to house another buck..hahaha  tongue

Happy Kidding to you Deb.  I pray all goes well, and you have an awesome year. I can't wait to see babies...lots and lots and lots of babies. 

Are any of you friends in FB with Carol Sanders (aka K-Ro, here in the forum)...she has babies hitting the ground right now, and man are they gorgeous babies this year.  Nice healthy fat big babies.  Must be a good year for healthy big babies.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 01:13:00 PM »

BRRRR too cold for me to even try Feb kidding!  I hope and pray you have a warm up and a good warm barn Smiley

A friend and her husband raised Reg Nigeran's for many years.  Awesome babies and so darn cute with those colors and blue eyes!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »

The temps seem to have sunk over the past day. We are headed for single digits over night. Ugh. So much for believing the famers almanac saying a mild winter. Lol

Big, bad storm heading our way...yet again. Said to be starting Tuesday evening and go thru Wednesday. Lots of snow, heavy winds and ending up with freezing rain.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:03:46 AM »

Oh man Deb...when that barometer drops that way, you will for sure have those Does kidding.  This is scary for you...I'll be praying.  Here's an idea...magically twitch your nose, and send them down here to me...we'll be in the 70's the next few days.  It's almost spring here.  Trees budded out about 2 weeks ago and then we get that cold that dropped the temps 40 degrees within a few hours, and heavy frost that night...winds were brutal...but today, it's gonna be in the 70's. Thank God.

Be safe up there.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »

Is there a reason we have them kid when it is so cold??  I wondered why when I was doing it?  I still wonder why I am kidding in March with the way the weather has seemed to have changed the last few years.  I hope your girls hold them in!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »

I do it for the milk. The cold minimizes the worm and cocci loads. Plus,  the kids eat more, therefor growing bigger and faster because they need the extra milk to keep warm. Kids sell better early on because people want them NOW. Later born kids don't sell as well because the buyers have already bought the earlier kids.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 05:28:34 AM »

I wonder if that's a "northern" thing.  Our babies sold just as well being born in March/April than they did in Feb.  I bred one year for the 4-H kids, having the kids born in Feb was the worst mistake I ever made.  It was super hard on not just me, but the mom's and babies as well.  I never had cocci or worm issues so I didn't fret about that.  I think if it's not on your farm then it's not going to happen no matter when you have kids being born.  I vowed after that first time to never do it again.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »

The bitter cold kills the eggs so they don't pick up anything.

There are suddenly so many goat "breeders" up here that selling is near impossible later in the year. The earlier you get the kids born and up for sale, the faster people see them and buy or put a deposit on them.

dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 04:36:17 PM »

Mini's 145 day due date was yesterday. She didn't. However, her udder has grown substantially over night, her ligs are getting looser, so that you can actually see them sinking and she has a bit of discharge stuck around her tail. The kidding stall was erected today, so all is ready there. We are hours away from a big storm with 8-12" of snow topped with freezing rain. The temps are supposed to rise a bit, so I am hoping she kids tonight or tomorrow, as I have the next 2 days off.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 06:03:48 AM »

I pray she hurries, and if not that she waits til the storm is all over.  I can't wait to see babies.  Nigi babies are just the cutest little creatures EVER, besides the Pygmy babies. Smiley 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 01:04:35 PM »

Good Luck!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »

She kidded Tuesday night while I was at work. Kid was breech. We lost him because my son wasn't sure what to do. Not a very good start to my kidding season.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 07:57:20 AM »

Cry Cry  That's so sad.  I'm sorry to hear that.  Is momma ok?

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: