HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2019, 02:31:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2111 Posts in 114 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Meningeal Worms
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Meningeal Worms  (Read 1123 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 07:46:58 AM »

I have many friends that owns LLama herds, and yes the M-worm is very fearsome for them...it's a once monthly ritual of bringing them in and administering Ivomec shots.  You know, there are larger herds of Llama's in Louisiana and now fast growing in Arkansas than there are herds of goats?  I foresee in years to come that Llama meat will be the next meat offered on the food chain.

We had the m-worm and BT virus threat to our farm in AR.  The high deer population was the true carrier of it....our land almost joined the 6000 acre protected property of the Pea Ridge Military Park (home of the largest Civil War battle), and the protection of that park extended to the wildlife on it.  There was 12 deer daily (some times a few more would come in) that would come to my place to eat with my goats.  When BTV broke out, I got the pants scared off me because they found 9 dead deer with BTV at the fence line where it almost joined my fence line.  The M-worm wasn't as bad, but it was posted that Deer hunters needed to be on watch of the deer carcasses. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 01:16:11 PM »

I've heard that Llamas and Alpacas have horrible reactions from the M worm. People who have them around my area give monthly ivermectin/safeguard dosings to prevent the worms from migrating and causing permanent damage

My area is over populated with White Tailed deer and snails/slugs. I had a pregnant doe get it, went down and ended up with so much damage she had to be PTS. She developed Toxemia, couldn't deliver the kids due to the paralysis and was just a total train wreck.

How is it possible for your goats to get it when you don't have pasture?  The deer  wouldn't get in the goat pens would they?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 04:38:21 PM »

The deer don't do the actual spreading, they are intermediate hosts. The snails are the carriers and my place is loaded with them.

And yes, I have had deer jump in the goat pens to nibble on the hay!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »

Plus, don't think just because you don't see deer in the immediate vicinity, snails/slugs can travel far more distance than you would think.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: