HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2018, 04:33:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1654 Posts in 79 Topics by 726 Members
Latest Member: chester_boer
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  chronic impacted cud
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: chronic impacted cud  (Read 195 times)
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« on: November 27, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »

One of my 5 year old Nigerian does started having this problem back in September.  She had a cud stuck in her lower right jaw and we dug it out for her.  She since then has had it stuck at least 10 times.  This week it has been everyday since last Thursday.  It doesn't look like a tooth is messed up as best I can tell.  There is no swelling.  No fever. Once we get the cud out (once a day) she resumes eating like normal.  I tried letting it go for a day and see if she could get it out herself but she never was able to. 

I've never dealt with this before so not sure what else to do for her.  Thinking I may have to go see the vet. 

She has free choice coastal hay and browse.  No one else in the herd is having any issues (knock on wood).  Let me know if you need any more info.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Elizabeth
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 05:28:01 AM »

I have never heard about it either.  So, I did a little research and found that several different Bovine Sites have spoken about it, as well a Merck Vet Manual spoke about it in Bovines.  Both related it to a bad tooth that the cud was sticking to.  You say your girl doesn't have a bad tooth.  This is strange.  All those Bovine sites said that once the tooth was removed, it never happened again.  It might take a Vet to check that tooth down under the gum line.  I have never had this happen in all my years of farming to neither the Bovine or the Caprine.  This will be interesting to see the outcome of this.  I would think that if it's a bad tooth some sort of pain would be there, some sort of infection would appear.  You don't have that issue.  Which makes this all the more puzzling.

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking a bad tooth as well.  I just can't see it well enough.  She already has it stuck again this morning.  I have an appointment with the vet today at 1:45.  I'll let you know. 

Elizabeth
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »

Just made it home.  The vet said they have never heard of anything like this in a goat.  She already had a cud stuck after we had cleaned it out totally last night.  They pulled it out and said her teeth look just fine.  No infection or swelling or anything that looks abnormal.  They suggested me taking her to Texas A & M, but I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to do that. 

They did suggest giving her a hay replacer pellet.  Since that doesn't have any strands of fiber, then maybe that would help.  I got her started on an alfalfa/timothy pellet now.  She told me to give her 20 cc of penicillin for a week.  I'll have to look that dose up.  She may be right but that seems like a lot.  She weighs about 60 to 65 pounds. 

I had started her on Biomycin last night just in case and gave her a dose of Banamine.  I figured she is really sore with all that we have had to do holding her mouth open and all.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes with her. 

Elizabeth
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »

My question is "why the antibiotic?"  If there is no infection, no elevated body temp, and no signs of opened wounds, why give antibiotic when it's not really needed?  That would indeed lower her immune system and cause something else to sneak in on her.  I think, if I were to agree and give the antibiotic, I think I'd do the penicillin for sure, but maybe just 10 cc's.  I know 20 sounds high, but it wouldn't be high if she were indeed infected with something.  Penicillin is to fight bacteria, whereas the Biomycin will help with respiratory infections.  I do agree with the pelleted hay.  Or maybe the hydration hay that they sell at TSC...now it's pricey but with bad teeth its what I gave Prince and he loved it.  Maybe she's just not producing enough saliva.  Maybe the hydration hay, since it's soaked in water to rehydrate it, may help with that.  Just grabbing at straws here, hoping something makes sense.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: