HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2019, 02:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2111 Posts in 114 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  While we are still here
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: While we are still here  (Read 661 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: January 25, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »

My first Nigerian is due to kid in 17 days. She is starting to build an udder. This is an especially special cross between her and my buck. Should be some awesome kids!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 07:06:44 AM »

Happy kidding to you Deb.  I sure do miss those days.  Be sure to share pictures. 

I am suppose to sign the paperwork to close the forum tomorrow.  I don't have to though.  The domain name is due to cancel the 1st of Feb but the copyrights remain on the name.  I don't have to do that either.

All in all I can keep the forum up and going.  It's already been paid for as of Jan 1st for the next year.

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:12:52 AM »

I miss those kidding days too!!  All those babies bouncing around...   Hope you get some good weather and no major snow storms  around that time!

Pam, does this mean the forum will stay up then?   Praying

Elizabeth
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 06:33:07 PM »

Pam, it's up to you but........I would love to see it go until it expires.  Wink

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 06:33:21 AM »

Lets see how we do through kidding season.  I have to admit, I love hearing about the kiddings and seeing the new babies. 

I just hope we have more contact, than we've had the last few months.  It's been totally dead in the forum, except the spammers who are trying to get in and can't...hahaha.  They are constantly here.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »

I am hoping the weather warms up a bit before the 11th. I gotta start rearranging the barn to put up some kidding stalls. Ugh.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 05:24:29 AM »

Lord I pray so also...I can't believe this sudden burst of winter storms affecting so many areas and states.  I know this sounds awful but we went from upper 70's to low 30's within 12 hours and the wind is awful, along with the high humidity, and the rain we got with it, I swear it feels colder than 32 degrees out there.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »

My goats used to be bred to kid in Jan/ Feb when I lived in Northern MO.  I never thought about the cold and never had any problems.  Now you couldn't pay me to have babies before March ( and even that is pushing it the last few years).

I pray you get a decent warm up.  The way this crazy weather is you will probably be having a heat wave  Smiley

My babies should start to arrive in early March-- but I am hoping they wait until the end of the month.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 06:22:41 AM »

Julie we did that same thing.  One year we did what everyone else was doing, and bred for the 4H kids to have babies and bred to birth in Feb.  I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!  Not only did half the 4H kids not show up to pick up the babies they selected, but that was the hardest kidding season ever on me.  It was way too cold.  Babies did pretty good, no illness's or deaths, but I would rather them have warmer weather and plenty to learn to forage on...than have 2 foot of snow on the ground, with frozen buckets of water and me fighting to keep barns and huts deep enough in straw or pine shavings.  Spring clean up was gosh awful that year.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:46:58 PM »

Back then the kids took about every goat we had ( baby or adult) to show at the fair in July.  We haven't done that in a long time as my youngest just turned 21  Cry  So it is just me doing it now.  I don't know why I just don't have them kid in May?   No cold damp weather, plenty of good grass, no risk of hypothermia!.  Maybe I will do that this next breeding season.  Probably won't be able to find a buck though..........
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 05:56:26 AM »

One thing I had to keep in mind...the sale prices on babies any thing after April.  Of course only 5 of my goats ever went to a sale barn (4 of those oops inbred babies and one baron Doe), but those bucks that weren't going to make good herd sires or weren't sold for wether companions were a concern of mine, where to go with them if they didn't sell off the farm.  Luckily I did ok with that...but birthing in May, cuts you off for the Cinco De Mayo prices.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 12:07:42 PM »

We normally take the boys I don't sell to private buyer to the sale around Labor Day.  If I breed later than it would be closer to the beginning of December.  I know prices are good in Sept , but not sure how they are in Dec.  I would have to research that before I changed anything  Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »

I like having cold weather babies because the worms and cocci are not a problem. They are way healthier than warmer born kids.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 06:07:58 AM »

That is true Deb.  Those parasite issues are less.  We THANKFULLY didn't have issue with worms or cocci.  We bred for March/April babies, but one year we went from March clear to May. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »

I've never had a cocci issue and so far while I have battled worms in some of my does, the kids never seem to have an issue and I don't even deworm them until I sell them.

I have tried to cull most any doe who has  shown signs of barber pole worm and that seems to help. I've only had a few who were really infected.

So far , so good!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: