HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2019, 11:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Happy Easter

Stats
1846 Posts in 95 Topics by 727 Members
Latest Member: Dee
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Cold weather anyone??
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Cold weather anyone??  (Read 184 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: January 28, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »

We are bracing for an arctic blast.  It has started and I am not looking forward to it.  We will have a -5 for a temp on Wed morning ( high of Cool  with wind..  I know many are getting it a lot worse I looked at the forecast for where I used to live in MN and they will be -36 for several nights and -teens for daytime highs.  My thoughts and prayers are with them and their critters for sure.

I have plenty of hay, heated water tubs and lots of barns space but my goats & horses & chickens will not be happy.  I sold my milk cow and her heifer calf a couple of weeks ago so my chores are lightened a bit. I will be happy about that on those cold days.  We start warming up on Thursday with a high of 50 on Saturday.  Crazy temperature swings for sure.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 05:25:20 AM »

I saw that last night on the news...the upper northern states are going to be awful.  I was shocked to see Missouri as cold as they are now.  NW Arkansas isn't going to be much better.  My prayers are with everyone in this cold front storms path.  Here we went from mid 70's yesterday down to 36 today.  Not nearly as cold as you all are.  The wind is what's awful this morning, along with the rain we got last night.  We do not need any more rain...Lord knows we are still standing water from all the past rain that we have gotten.

Julie you be careful out there.  That kind of cold will hit you hard and fast.

I miss our milk cows.  I miss that homemade butter, and the cream for coffee and ice cream.  But, like you, I don't miss the cold weather milking.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:53:18 PM »

We had a blast of it last week. Highs were in the - numbers with added wind for -35 or so. This week it is supposed to be even colder, they say -50 is not out of the question.

Not sure what happened to the El Nino mild winter temps we were predicted to be having this winter. Someone lied!

Be safe everyone. Watch for frozen water pipes. Make sure the animals stay hydrated when the buckets freeze minutes after they are freshened. Cover up all exposed skin, frostbite happens in seconds when it's this cold. Keep an eye out for frostbite in your critters, too!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:26:15 AM »

This is awful.  Absolutely awful what's happening to you all.  Please PLEASE stay safe out there.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »

Oh the wind was awful last night.  I just knew my 16 gallon heated tubs would be frozen solid this morning since wind chills were -30+.

I came out to feed at 6:30 and all the goats( but 2) were laying in the barn all together and looked none the worse for wear  Smiley  Really helps that they were  out of the wind. Water was just fine and unfrozen!

My horses and chickens had good water too and were just fine .   

All I had showing was my eyes this morning and I freaked the goats out a bit until  said something Grin

Chores went smoothly, quickly and it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't want it that cold on a regular basis.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 06:18:47 AM »

Wow, that's great Julie.  That's one thing I don't miss about home...the cold weather.  It's cold enough down here for me and we've had nothing like you all are getting now.  However, I'd do the cold to get back home.  You can always prepare ahead of time for the cold to come.

It's just I worry so bad about the livestock.  Especially the cattle.  Goats, chickens, horses, sheep, and other livestock have barns, but Cattle, typically weather it out in the pastures and I pray they all had a forest/tree grove to hide in.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »

I feel bad for the cows too.  I worry a bit about the 2 I just sold.  Here they had a large stall that they could come into as they wanted.  A feeder in the corner always filled with good hay and their 16 gallon heated tub just outside the door along the panel under the overhang.  Pampered by Angus cattle standards.  The man that bought them was going to keep them in a similar set up for a bit but they have been gone 2 weeks now so they may have been integrated into the herd by the time this weather came.

My cow was 1/2 Angus 1/2 Jersey and a huge robust girl.  Her 7 month old heifer ( 3/4th Angus) was still nursing and stuffed her face at every opportunity so I know they had plenty of body fat to keep them warm.  They just always went inside in anything but pristine wether conditions Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 05:53:11 AM »

Ahhh….so your girls didn't live like normal cattle...hahahaha.  laugh laugh  My cattle had lean-to shelters in the pastures (very few trees in the pastures of the Arkansas farm), but they also had the 15 foot x 75 foot eaves of the barn they could come and get under.  The 15x75 was where their feed troughs were.  Horses had stalls, goats had barns and huts, chickens had their house, dogs had their igloo dog houses but still stayed with the goats, cats had any where they darn well pleased to go except the tack/feed room and hay area of the barn.  Everyone was pretty well covered when it came to bad weather.  The cattle in Central Missouri had many forest trees, and valleys they could get into with bad weather. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

No they never have .  I've had 4 milk cows in all and kept them just like I do my horses.  They didn't see to mind Grin  I can't  sleep and just worry something awful  if I fear they are out in the elements with no way inside.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 06:15:08 AM »

On our farm in Missouri, with 400 head of cattle, and 200 head of hogs...it was a worry, praying they'd be alright.  But bringing that many into a barn...that wasn't gonna happen.  Though the hogs did have huts out in their pastures, and big enough 4 to 6 could lay together in one hut.  The cows were always our worry.  And they were all bred to calve in early March.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »

we had dairy cattle, so they stayed inside most of the winter months. I thought they would be better off going outside for a short time daily, but my ex swore they would get frost bite and their teats fall off.  Roll Eyes So, instead, they were stuck inside, locked in a stanchion stall all winter. He could never understand why they got sick and some had mastitis during those months. Even though I had 4 years of animal science in school, I didn't know anything because I was raised in the city. He was such a moron.

All my critters have run in housing. They can chose whether to be inside or outside, as the spirit moves them. The only  ones who can't are my inside dogs.

Even during that bitter cold, my dogs and horses spent a lot of time outside. Most of the goats went outside for short periods of time, also..

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: