HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2019, 10:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1895 Posts in 97 Topics by 728 Members
Latest Member: staceyneil
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Here we go !!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Here we go !!  (Read 254 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: March 20, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »

Does started kidding on Monday late morning.   5 down and 10 more to go!

So far at my latest check 1 girl and 6 boys.  1 just had trips( not sexed yet)  and another looked to be starting her labor so I don't know what they will be.

Thankfully so far all easy unassisted births and babies up and nursing.

My does that have triplets I am planning to supplement the smallest with bottle feedings to hopefully keep them from being at the udder all the time. Last year I lost 2 from the mother's just laying down on them at about a week old.  Probably from the smallest trying desperately to get a meal and the mom's get so tired of the kids trying to suck all the time that they just go down and don't feel the kid under there.  I hope it works!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:22:10 AM »

Oh wow!!  Congratulations.  Happy to hear it's going well for you.  Praying that it continues that way.  It's a full moon so that's a good thing when birthing at night.  I can't blame you for being cautious with triplets.  I've always just pulled the smallest and just bottle fed them, but left them with mom and siblings, unless Mom rejects the one I am bottle feeding.  You have dairy goats right?  They should produce enough to feed triplets.  I do hope it all works good for you.  Can't wait to see pictures.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »

Oh wow!!  Congratulations.  Happy to hear it's going well for you.  Praying that it continues that way.  It's a full moon so that's a good thing when birthing at night.  I can't blame you for being cautious with triplets.  I've always just pulled the smallest and just bottle fed them, but left them with mom and siblings, unless Mom rejects the one I am bottle feeding.  You have dairy goats right?  They should produce enough to feed triplets.  I do hope it all works good for you.  Can't wait to see pictures.

I have Boer goats and the ones who have had trips usually feed them all just fine, but I am trying to make it easier on the mother and myself.

As of this morning :

10 boys
3 girls

Everyone is doing great!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:05:07 AM »

oh man!!  10 boys!!  And the trouble with having boys, they always are cuter than the girls, and melts your heart and you think "if only I could keep this one, and that one, and maybe that one..."  Grin Grin

As long as they are all healthy, happy and doing well, that's all that matters.  Congratulations...it's so exciting to hear of everyone's kidding seasons.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:15:21 PM »

So far the boys are way prettier marked than the girls  Angry

26 babies and the girls are catching up!  So far everyone is loving their kids and feeding them all.

14 boys
10 girls!   

1 doe just kidded twins before lunch and I didn't bother her to see what she had yet Smiley

4 sets of triplets so far. 

My herd queen who is 9 had 4 babies this morning.  That is a first for me and I hope the last.  1 was born dead and it looked just perfect.  Sad but I can't complain as it has been a very productive 5 days.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »

Woohooooo Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »

Wow, Quads...that's awesome!!!  I'm so sorry the one didn't make it.  But I agree, Quads are hard on Does to raise.  You're having a great year.  I'm so happy for you.  Something in the water...yep, something in the water.  laugh kiss

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »

15 boys
11 girls

I have 1 more due anytime and then the last 2  I am wondering if they are even bred.   One is a first timer and really big and long bodied .  It looks like she has filled out and her mid section is lower than a non bred goat should be ( not her normal either)  She has ZERO udder development  so I am accosting her daily to check on any udder happening.  She gets really put out at me  Roll Eyes

The other has a tiny udder, but she kidded last year and had a tiny baby girl and never really did have much udder to speak of.  She fed her baby just fine.  I am thinking they are weeks away if something is going to happen .  Gives me a breather.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »

oh the girls are catching up!!!  haha.  it's awful to stand and root for "girls"  Cheer  when those boys are so gorgeous!!!  Dancing Banana  I hope your other 2 are bred, and gives you that much needed break.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »

16 boys
12 girls !!

Had a big scare with my 9 year old doe who had the quads.

Came out yesterday morning to find her standing in the corner and shaking.  She could barely walk and her horns were blazing hot to the touch. Had a scared/ glazed look in her eyes.

She had not drank water overnight and hardly touched her hay.

I had no idea what to do ( i am ashamed to say that) as I have never had a goat like that. ever.

I ran to the house and got my Banamine and Baytril and gave her a shot of each, then I syringed a big dose of superB complex.

Happy to report that she responded quickly to the shots and when I checked her an hour later her expression was calm, she drank some water.  When I checked after church she had eaten a large part of her hay 1/2 a bucket of water  and was chewing her cud.

I called my vet this morning to have him come and give a thorough exam, but he said all that I had done was what I should have done.  Told me my follow up treatment and to watch for a couple of things and call asap if she relapses and he will come right out.

As of this morning she has an excellent appetite , is drinking well and had her grain meal that she literally inhaled Smiley and back to her opinionated, grumpy , bossy self  Angel

The babies are fine and content.  This will be her last kidding.

I was planning on calling the vet out on Sunday morning if she didn't respond to my treatment.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:24:56 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:12:59 AM »

Good save!!!  Watch her now for Milk fever.  I would suggest that maybe you increase her calcium for the duration of nursing triplets.  Her age and that amount of babies is hard on her, so I agree retiring her is a good idea.  I would suggest giving her 600 mg Calcium 2 times daily.  I have never had milk fever before, but it's terrible bringing them back out of it, and additional calcium will surely help with that.  Milk fever you use a product called CMPK...it tastes awful and is a drench that kind of burns their throat so you have to cut it with something.  If you can, get her to drink as much molasses water as she wants.  Maybe put a salt block out for her to lick on to help with the fluid intake.  Your due diligence is impeccable.

Congrats on the lastest arrivals.   

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 03:29:45 PM »

The vet mentioned milk fever as well and had the same advice as you gave.  She is doing just fine so far and eating and drinking well and the babies are growing and active.

She has salt and a small bucket for minerals, so we are good there.

Don't worry I am watching her very closely.

The babies are all over the place as I have let the majority of them out now.  I can barely tell who belongs to who Why  but everyone is happy and very active  Smiley

We are having real good weather too and lots of sun.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 06:55:54 AM »

That's fantastic that the babies are so frisky and full of Verm and Vinegar.  I do love this time of year when babies are born and full of life and antics.  I truly miss the joys you are feeling right now.  Can't wait to see pictures of all of them.  I love babies...baby goats are truly the best ever!!

Keep us posted on how momma goat is doing.  Bless her heart, she's putting every thing she's got into her babies.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: