HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2019, 10:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1895 Posts in 97 Topics by 728 Members
Latest Member: staceyneil
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Udders!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Topic: Udders!  (Read 1128 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »

MY heart breaks for you.  I know exactly what you are going through as I lost my special doe( of 14 yrs)  last year during kidding with a kid still in there.  I felt beyond sadness Cry

Some years are just unbearable.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »

There are 2 forms of Pseudomonas, one is the mastitic form. They do not have that, no mastitis. Theirs is the pneumonia form.

The girl I got them from knew they had pneumonia but not what type. That came after she lost all her bucks and had the vet do a necropsy and all sorts of labs.  I had all the goats here when she sent me the results. By then it was too late, they all had it.

The Oberhasli issue is "ring womb". No, she didn't have that. I'm guessing that the kids pulled her uterus down as they grew, tore the suspension tissue and when she went into labor it herniated her diaphragm and set off a snowball effect. The 2 remaining kids who were not born started to decompose and Phe became septic. Because her ligaments really relaxed, her pelvis opened too much and damaged her left rear leg. If it had just been 1 or 2 things, we could have saved her, but with all that went wrong, there was nothing we could do. The sepsis was the final straw.

I'm just devastated. She was going to be retired after this year to live out her life as a pet.  Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »

This is unimaginable....this year is really horrific for you...years past we bad enough for sure, but this year, is devastating.  I did some more reading on that Pseudomonas, and it says it stems from muddy enclosures/environments...she must have had a real pig sty for them to be living in.  I am speechless to all this.  Cry

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »

Her barn was fine, new and well bedded. Some of the goats she bought came from some hinky places, which is where all these diseases came from. She didn't quarantine, so it spread like wildfire.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »

Another Lamancha doe kidded last night, twin to the one (Vicki) who kidded last week where I almost lost her doe to hypothermia. Tedi had a HUGE single doe. At birth, this doe is twice the size as all the others who are way older!

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »

Everything going alright with her and the baby??  I hope so!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 07:04:57 AM »

I saw your pictures in FB and those babies are just precious.  Especially that Nigi buckling...oh man, he's a heart throb and a half!!!  Congrats on the newest arrivals.  I pray all goes well with them. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »

Yup, that big doeling is doing fine. All the standard kids are fine, they were never exposed to the disease that plagues the Nigerians.

That buckling had big blue eyes plus white spots and large splotches of moon spots all over his back end.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 05:39:52 AM »

"had"....Deb, did he die?  Cry

Are the Nigi Does ok?

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »

"Had" ??

You haven't lost all the ND babies born have you??   I surely hope not.  You all have been through enough.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »

No, Uno the buckling and the one doeling that was a singleton both survived. I have 1 more doe due any day now.

I still have several standard does that will be delivering between now and May.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »

Oh thank God...that little guy is the most precious fella of all.  Man you spooked me good there.  Happy to hear they are doing good.  Our weather flipped back down into freezing temps again...super cold out there right now...and to think we had almost 80 degrees Saturday...  Huh? laugh  The wind is horrid...beware, it will be up north before you know it.  I can't wait for this weather to stop being so unpredictable and stay one way or the other....protestors have hit the streets protesting Mother Nature for Sunshine!! hahaha...  Grin Grin

Happy Kidding Deb.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »

Are you going to post pictures here?  I can't navigate FB.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:14:56 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »

I'll try, my computer is not great about posting pictures.

dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »

One of my Lamancha does kidded with triplets, 2 bucks and a doe. The night she kidded, the moon was just a tiny sliver. One of the bucklings was born solid black with a tiny replica of the moon on his forehead! That is so cool.  I noticed that a few little white flakes are appearing on his ears, so he sort of looks like a dark night, small moon and a few stars in the sky. I'd love to keep him as a pet, he's so adorable. Mom is actually 1/2 Lamancha, 1/4 Nubian and 1/4 Oberhasli. Dad is my Nubian. The doeling and this buckling have the Nubian ears, the HUGE last born kid, a buckling, looks just like mom, including the Lamancha ears. The doeling looks just Dad. The black buckling looks like his late maternal grand dam, who was all black with not a single white hair.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: