HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2019, 11:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1923 Posts in 101 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Dose Cydectin Sheep Drench
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Dose Cydectin Sheep Drench  (Read 160 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: March 20, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »

I got some Cydectin Sheep Drench from the vet for Barberpole.  The vet (super experienced in caprines) wrote 11 ml for 60 lbs and this seems like a lot to me.  I haven't used the sheep version before (which recommends 1 ml per 11 lbs) and I realize the amount would increase for goats but I don't want to OD.
What say you guys? 
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »

I have always done 1 ml per 11 pounds and this is the dewormer I have used almost exclusively for the last 10 years.  You can give a bit more than that safely.  I always give a bit more than I think they weigh since I am not too sure about the weight tape being accurate.

If your goat has a confirmed case of BP with the bottle jaw swelling as well,  you will give it 3 days in a row and again on day 10 ( at least that is what I do).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:11:33 PM by Julie H » Logged
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »

No bottle jaw, but light pink eyelids and a bit underweight.  I've seen her stumble a couple times too, so tells me she's at least somewhat anemic?  I'm starting her on iron therapy as well.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:18:56 AM »

Yes, Cydectin sheep and goat drench is given 1 cc per 11 pounds.  And given 3 days in a row for Barber Pole worm.  However, your goat does have BP worms if she is that anemic.  The worm is easier to kill than the anemia.  You must take that recovery very slowly, as Iron can be overdosed of which there is no cure for and is certain for death.  Make sure to give her Bcomplex with your treatment.  Bless her heart, she is a sick little girl, but in good hands.  please keep us posted.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »

My doe is doing very well and has for awhile.  Color has returned, she's gained weight and no more stumbling.  She still has a ways to go but it didn't take a whole lot to get her back.  I gave her one more dose of Cydectin almost 3 weeks after the 3 day course so I think it kicked out any and all worms!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »

Good job and that's very good news.  Happy to hear this.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: