HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2019, 10:24:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1895 Posts in 97 Topics by 728 Members
Latest Member: staceyneil
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Indiscriminate New Mom
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Indiscriminate New Mom  (Read 166 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: May 03, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »

I have a first freshener who kidded two days ago w/twin boys.  However, she is letting any of the other kids nurse which is extremely frustrating.  With my setup I can't keep her contained with just her bucks.  She's always had free range of the pen and would put up a fuss if I did that.  I can keep her in a stall at night, but daytime is another story.  Obviously, she can't afford to provide milk for the others.
Do you think this will change with some time or is there any advice you could give?
Thanks!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »

Sounds like you've got a heck of a good mother who tends to take care of every baby...most herders would die to have a Doe like that...but I understand your situation, her boys needs their milk too.  The other babies have her smell now, and she's claiming them.  The only way to do this is to lock her away with her boys and maybe a mom that she doesn't claim that moms babies to keep her and her boys company.  I don't think she'll ever stop feeding the other babies.  Not unless separated.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »

I have never had a doe willing nurse a baby that was not hers and I have had times I wish I did!  I would make a large separate pen for them among the herd and maybe situate it where they can be inside or outside  and she may be happier.

I use the combination cattle panels as they are too high to jump and nobody is squeezing through.  Those kids need their milk and she will just have to live with it.  Are your other does not producing enough.  I find it odd that a baby would look elsewhere if they are getting enough from their mothers.
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »

She's starting to move away from the greedy gobblers.  The kids are all nice and filled out and playful so I believe they are all getting their share.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 08:32:26 PM »

I have several like that, some are related, some not. I have twin sisters who both feed each others kids. I had several mother/daughter pairs who would feed each others kids (grandkids and siblings!). A couple will feed anyones kids, they don't seem to mind.

Now, I just pull all the doelings and any sire prospects to bottle feed, leaving the males on mom.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »

Good news, she's not letting other kids nurse anymore.  I put it to being a novice mom who just needed  a few days to get the picture!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:04:09 PM »

Also the fact that at the beginning they are so full that they let their own nurse whenever they want.  At about the 1-2 week mark I notice that nursing happens on her terms alone.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »

Good news, ND!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 07:35:56 AM »

very happy to hear all is well again. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: