HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2019, 02:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2099 Posts in 114 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  buck grain issue?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: buck grain issue?  (Read 162 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: May 18, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »

I was perusing goats on my local craigslist and came across an unusual situation.  Someone was advertising a year old ND buck who displays weakness/stiffness in the legs when he gets grain.  He's apparently fine when just on hay.  The seller suspects a depletion of B vitamins caused by bacteria produced when ingesting grain?  I would agree on some sort of B/thiamine involvement but have not come across this.  He appears to be in good shape via the photos and has fathered kids.
Interested to get input. 
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »

Do his hooves look normal?  I wonder if he has foundered in the past? 

Otherwise I have never seen that happen when I've fed grain.  Interesting to see what others say.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »

Never heard of any issue with B vitamin depletion from grain, since commercial feed is not only fortified, but plain, natural grains are a great source of many Vit Bs.

There may be a fungus, mold spores or some other chemical (natural or man made) that is in the feed that causes an allergic reaction.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 07:48:46 AM »

B-vitamins is not the issue...that buck is foundered.  Pure and simple.  All grain feeds (fresh milled or prepackaged) all have vitamins added to them and the proper amount of selenium for the area it's being prepared for.  B-vitamins is not the cause of this.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: