HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2020, 02:35:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2215 Posts in 125 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Mad, bummed, disgusted...
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Mad, bummed, disgusted...  (Read 769 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: May 18, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »

As most of you know, several years ago I had a barn fire, set by a juvenile arson (serial killer in training) who wanted to see it burn and kill my animals. The dogs got out, the goats did not. I lost them all. I had worked to get my herd to where it was and I thought it was perfect, for me anyway.

Fast forward to this spring. I have a herd of Nubians, Lamanchas and Nigerian Dwarfs. I have a American Nubian buck, a purebred Lamancha buck and 2 purebred Nigerian bucks. I don't have the room, or finances, for 2 Nubian or Lamancha bucks, so I was in the market for another Nubian. I was going to have to part with my current Nubian guy only because I just don't have any does he can breed now, they are all too closely related to him.

A woman (person #1) I sold 2 Nubian bucklings to last year (and is somehow bothered that my buck is American instead of purebred, lol) resold one of the bucks to a licensed dairy (persons #2 and #3) that is also a bed and breakfast. They have a purebred buck they are trying to sell. I was interested. I spoke to them and they were going to deliver him to me last Saturday, since my work schedule is not allowing me to connect with them on mutual days off.

I was excited. I got everything ready. They showed up today. Person #3 (the husband) got out of his car and insulted my son by calling my place trash. The wife (#2) walked up the driveway and asked to see where this buck was going to live. #3 said he wasn't going to leave the buck here and walked away. #2 said she would talk to him and walked down to my buck pen. I introduced her to the 2 bucks he would eventually be staying with after quarantine. They are big, chubby, shiny and well cared for. The area isn't huge, but it's clean, has plenty of shade and shelter for the summer. I explained that this is their summer abode and that all my bucks have big stalls in the barn for the colder months.

She made comments about me having horses and dogs and no pasture. I told her no, I dry lot my animals. She walked away and said that they just couldn't leave the buck in this environment.

I do have building stuff left from the fire. The insurance didn't cover repair to my house and barn fully, maybe 50%. The rest was on me. I bought the supplies and a friend and I have been building the barn. The remaining lumber, stacked and waiting, is for the chicken, buck and kid areas. The cement pad is now a container garden, so the buckets and containers are sitting there waiting for the plants next month. The paper grain bags I used to cover the dirt to keep the weeds away are stacked waiting to go to the dump. My son and daughter in law were evicted from their rental house just before snow flew after it was sold and the new owner refused to honor the lease agreement, so one section of my yard is their stuff that doesn't have a home yet.

Yes, there is mud. We have had a ton of rain on top of several feet of snow. Most farms around here are like that. The animals all have dry areas to hang in. My guy who scrapes out the pens every year retired, so I am on a list for the new guy to scrape when everything is dry.

She didn't even look at my animals, they judged my animals by the yard. They are well cared for, get diets specially made for each ones needs. The hay is green and sweet. The water troughs/buckets are clear and filled. The fencing is in decent repair and keeps them all in. The animals are of good weight and condition. Feet, shots utd. Fresh minerals put out daily.

I can find another buck easy enough, it's just that this guy would have help improve certain traits and was certified g6s free, plus the does in his family were high producers and were still doing well on the milk line well into older age. I like to breed for longevity.

I'm just really hurt that despite the care I give my animals (including home made treats!), everything comes down to something that was beyond my control and now I will be judged by many for it.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »

The world seems to be getting more and more a$$holes.  From what you've said here, there's probably any better goat-keeper anywhere than you.  I'm sorry these people could not see beyond the superficial, and sad that they don't realize that "pristine" doesn't equal "good".  Please don't let these people make you feel bad.  We here know that you ROCK, and we'd love to just smack them 'upside the head, as we say down here.

Keep up the good work, and ignore the stupids!

Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »

Yes I agree with Pat...Stupidity and Ignorance comes in all colors, shapes and sizes. 

Deb, the outside world is so judgemental, so superficial, and arrogant in so many ways.  I have seen pictures of your animals, and I have a dog gone good eye for sickly animals even in the best of staged pictures, and your animals are in great shape.  Do they not realize that dry lotting an animal actually costs more to do than having large pastures and fields for them to be in?  Of course they don't, otherwise that bias statement would have never been said. 

I know the time and energy it takes to keep dry lotted or stalled animal in good shape, and free from filth and disease.  I also know the costs of doing that.  Don't let them get you down.  Stand tall and proud...because you've earned that over all these years.  Tell them to take a flying leap into the nearest lake.  You keep doing what you've always been doing. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »

Thanks guys. It just hurts and I'm sure that they will be reporting me to the state humane or my towns Animal control.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »

Aen't you your town animal control?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 05:23:46 AM »

Yes, I thought you were the ACO as well.  There's nothing they can do even if you're not, and they do report you.  The animals are in good flesh, they have food and water, their containment area is clean and disease free.  In all the states that I've lived in, there would be nothing "we", as Animal Welfare Activists could do.  I think your state would be the same.  I have shut down and removed a lot of animals from far worse conditions than you have for sure. 

Deb, don't let two idiots determine who you are.  I know their words hurt, but there are just words. Remember the saying "sitcks and stones may hurt me, but words never will."  Every one is judgmental, and these two are just the extreme measure of that.  Your animals are happy, and that's all that matters.  Yes, you and I both would love to have more property than we have, but we don't...we improvise to the property space and no judge in this world would condemn your management with animals looking as good as yours do.

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »

I second what the others have said.  I've known you for a while even if just on the goat groups.  I have seen pictures of your beloved goats.  They are always in tip top shape.  I don't know anyone who works harder against the greatest of odds to accomplish the quality that your animals possess.  Stand proud of that and try not to let people like that question your management. 

When I was a little girl (many years ago) my favorite TV show was Little House on the Prairie.  There was one episode that contained a couple lines that has stuck with me to this day.

It said:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell."

Now I'm not saying you stink  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin.  I think you get my jest though.   Cup O Joe?

Elizabeth
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »

I am sorry they treated you that way.  People can be so judgmental and cruel.  The condition of your animals is the most important thing, too bad they didn't even bother to look.

I hope a better buck comes along Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 06:21:59 PM »

I'm ACO for another town, not my own. I know they can't really get me on anything, but just having my name on a complaint at the town office can really screw me up for my ACO job and my job here at the hospital.

It's very muddy here, but there are dry areas, plus I keep their pens bedded with straw and shavings. Just this week the ground has dried up enough to get a wheelbarrow over it. That prevented the stalls from being dug out from the last of the winter build up. The stalls were done daily until all that rain and snow melt flooded my place.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 05:29:35 AM »

When I was a little girl (many years ago) my favorite TV show was Little House on the Prairie.  There was one episode that contained a couple lines that has stuck with me to this day.

It said:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell."

Elizabeth I remember that.  Michael Landon said that.  I still watch that show yet today on Insp channel.  Thanks for that reminder...it holds true in so many different ways.

I'm ACO for another town, not my own. I know they can't really get me on anything, but just having my name on a complaint at the town office can really screw me up for my ACO job and my job here at the hospital.

It's very muddy here, but there are dry areas, plus I keep their pens bedded with straw and shavings. Just this week the ground has dried up enough to get a wheelbarrow over it. That prevented the stalls from being dug out from the last of the winter build up. The stalls were done daily until all that rain and snow melt flooded my place.

Deb, we had rain every day but a few from Sept to April.  Our ground was so saturated that even where the dogs walked it would be mud and water instead of grass.  We still aren't completely dried up down here.  If folks remember that farmers have livestock and the amount of rain you have had, there is going to be mud..pure and simple there's no way to stop that.  Even in AR, when the snows melted and the ground thawed, it was mud going in and out of the barn, in and out of the horse stalls, every gate passage was mud...it's the spring weather we have, and people need to realize, a farm is not a concrete city.  There will be mud, there will be worse odors, animals will have mud on them if they have pastures or not.  It's life on the farm in the spring time.  It won't last long.  If nothing has happened yet, I doubt they will do any thing.  Don't fret it...you got this.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 02:18:59 PM »

Well, the person I was going to buy a buckling from lives next door to the woman who originally told me about that buck. Suddenly, the woman with the 2 really nice bucklings for sale is not answering my messages to her about them.

I used to love Little House on the Prairie.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 05:25:23 AM »

Their loss not yours.  Look a little outside of your state/main area.  Bring in some different bloodlines.  Make them drool in their mistake.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »

I just put a deposit on a fabulous Nubian buckling. Awesome breeding, comes from incredible udders and production! I get him sometimes this month.

Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 08:49:46 PM »

Cool!  Waiting eagerly for pictures!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »

Even better than before...thats awesome!

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: