HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2019, 02:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2099 Posts in 114 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Kid Stumbling W/Fever
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Kid Stumbling W/Fever  (Read 319 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: August 13, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »

Just got a call from a fellow goater:  has a 3 month doeling suddenly went off feed, is stumbling and sometimes falling over with 105 temp.  He gave thiamine and Oxytet.  She seems to be quieter, eating more right now.  I'm thinking listeriosis/polio and advised to go from Oxy to Pen  He will take her into the vet if she's not better tomorrow.  He can't think of anything that changed in her diet or environment. 
Any thoughts?  Of course, she's his nicest kid of the season.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »

You most likely are dealing with Listeria.  Listeria elevates the body temp, and polio drops the body temp.  Treatment for this is long and hard and needs to be Bcomplex every other hour, and Thiamine every hour, oral and inject Penicillin, along with Banamine to reduce the fever.  You also need a steroid to block the brain stem.  Listeria once it hits the brain stem the goat will die.  Vet treatment is a must so this can be given through IV.  You do need to hurry, time is every thing.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »

The doeling was better this morning though still elevated temp and somewhat wobbly.  My friend took her in and although diagnosis was not specific the vet concluded some sort of bacterial infection.  She's on Penicillin, B, and banamine.  Tonight he reports she's more perky and eating up a storm.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 06:13:57 AM »

Listeria can portray itself in that form.  Heat Stroke is my second thought.  Heat stroke is easy to detect and know it's a heat stroke...pull the upper eye lid up, and if the veins in the eyes are really wide and super red, that's a heat stroke.  I do not for an instant believe what this vet has said it is.  I'm sorry bacterial infections do not do this to a goat.  Wobbly is a sure sign of Polio, Listeria or heat stroke...since Listeria elevates the body temp, I'm still saying this is listeria and if he doesn't hit her with Thiamine and the steroid to block her brain stem he has only put a bandaide on the issue and this baby goat will die.  I'm not a vet, but I've seen and experienced enough Polio, Listeria and heat strokes to know this is the same symptoms I've seen.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »

Neglected to say yes, the doeling is on thiamine too.  Also, his vet did acknowledge listeria a possibility.  And isn't listeria a bacterium?  I don't think the vet brought up heat stroke.  I'll suggest that to him.   
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »

Just heard an update and the little girl is continuing to improve.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »

Listeria they will not improve that quickly, and 95% of them die.  So I am going to assume this was a heat stroke.  Keep that baby in a cool environment, if need be pack down the pulse points in ice.  Do Not get the belly wet, what ever you do, do not let that baby get it's belly wet.  Keep doing what he's doing for sure...since there is an improvement.  But make sure that baby stays hydrated, either with IV's or Under the skin hydration, and oral intake.

Its vitally important that this baby remains in the shady areas.  If in a barn, put a fan in that barn and hang frozen bottles of water in front of that fan where that cool air will hit the baby dead on.

I almost lost my Hanna to a heat stroke...I built a make shift shade area bigger than the shade area they already had, and put two box fans out there under that shade area and put frozen bottles of water in front of the fans and all my goats came over there to cool down and stay with Hanna.  Heat strokes are easy to cure, but quick to come back year after year when it gets too hot.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 01:11:37 PM »

how scary!  Glad she is responding well to treatment.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »

Glad she is responding to treatment! Woohoo!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: