HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 05:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2137 Posts in 118 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Snow
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Snow  (Read 100 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: November 11, 2019, 02:34:43 PM »

Gag, another storm has started in my area. Last week we had snow and rain. The week before that we had torrential rain and heavy wind. Each time I was supposed to go to visit my mother in Massachusetts, so I had to put it off. (nearly bald tires. Roll Eyes ) Now, we are getting a 2 day storm of rain, freezing rain and snow with a major dive in temp, from the low 40's to the teens, and it will stay that way for several days.

Ugh.....why did we have to move to Maine all those years ago? Sad Angry Wink

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:17:44 AM »

Maine is a beautiful state in the spring and summer.  Just concentrate on those months, close your eyes...you see the spring flowers and trees in bud?  You see the greening of the grass and new life from livestock babies running in open green pastures?  You see the bright stars at night shimmering like diamonds?  You feel the warmth of the summer sun radiant on your face?

Ok, DON'T OPEN YOUR EYES!!! HAHAHA.  Grin Grin

Like you all...we went from 76 down to 36 within a few hours.  No snow, but lots of high winds and blowing side ways rain.  It's freaking cold out there this morning and the wind is still blowing hard.  News says its coming down from the North, with the warm waters to the south, making this horrible weather outdoors.  So I can't imagine living up that far North Deb...though the first snow is always the prettiest, I don't care to see it or live in it any more.  haha.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »

Spring in Maine? You don't see green, you see brown from the mud! LOL And the kids can't go outside to romp and play because they would sink and die in the mud.

This wasn't one of those pretty snow storms, it was 50/50 freezing rain and snow. It started with the icy snow pellets, very fine and hard to see. Moved to snow, then it warmed up enough to be freezing rain. Temp dropped when the cold front settled in, so it was snow on ice when I drove home last night. Stayed snow, temps well below freezing so all that rain froze and we had the snow on top, all night and all day. Most of the roads were ok today. Until I got to the steep hill that is a main road to the hospital. It didn't look like it had been touched by plow or sander. I went up the hill sideways while people coming down the hill were going sideways. A fun time was had by all.

On top of all that, people drive like idiots. They either drive like the roads are warm and dry (and of course they have 4 wheel drive, so they believe the commercials that show these vehicle speeding along winter roads or across glaciers) or they go 10 miles and hour. AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:32:44 AM »

I watched all of what you're talking about on the weather channel last night...lots of states were hit by what they are saying is "early" snow storms.  Ya know, I was born and raised in Missouri, and I remember Halloween night having snow on the ground and that's Oct...what makes a early November snow so freakish?  The year Kyle was born...Dec 23rd, 1980, we had a tornado...now that's freakish weather. hahaha. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »

Up here, parents buy Halloween costumes extra large to fit over snow suits. It's not uncommon to have Trick or Treating cancelled on Halloween due to a blizzard. One year, way back in the 70's, we had a blizzard in May or June. Didn't last, but still.......

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »

Gee whiz...long winters like that, makes a person so miserable.  Or at least it does me.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: