HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2019, 12:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2114 Posts in 114 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Here we go!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Here we go!!  (Read 382 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: September 30, 2019, 02:22:13 PM »

Buck is in ( as of yesterday) and I am anxiously waiting to see what I get in 5 months!
I have 19 breeding  aged does,  so he has some work to do.  

Here are a few of the colored ones, but I think about 2/3rds of my herd is non traditional colored now.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:51:10 AM »

Wow, your girls look so pretty.  And he's very interested in his sweethearts.  Your little whitish girl, looks a whole lot like the Kiko.  The horns and head are almost identical to Hanna's and Mercy's heads.  Can't wait to see what she throws down. Smiley  Happy Breeding season to you.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »

Her mother is solid white and if you look closely you can see she is a pale yellow color and has white spots!  It took almost a year before I was sure she had spots.  I am hoping she gives me something wildly marked, but as you well know nothing is certain.  She is a sweetheart and one of my favorites.  Always behind you begging for attention Grin

He has been breeding already, well the minute I let him in he got started Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »

It's those kinds of girls that I adore...I call them "tag alongs"....my best companions, my best buds...I love that when our goats do that.  Warms my heart.  I sure do miss my goats.  It makes my heart feel so much better to see your goats even if it's just in pictures.

What's weird Julie...I bred Roady (my avatar picture) to my tri colored Kiko Doe and my Cinnamon colored Doe, and I got one tri colored baby and one white baby when each girl had their babies.  There was no white in any of their color gene pool ancestors...yet each Doe put down a solid white baby...hahahaha.  go figure that.  Grin Grin  My two solid white Does put down caramel colored babies with black points.   

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 01:27:40 PM »

I have had several solid white babies the last few years.  All 3 does that had them share a mother/ grandmother who was a solid brown with light points.  Alaways interesting how the colors come out isn't it?

I am sorry you no longer have goats.  I would miss it terribly.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »

I can't get your pictures to open. Grrrrr....but I'm at work and they love to block stuff. I'll have to check it out at home!

Yeah, rut is here! My 4 bucks stink to high heaven and are blathering and flapping their tongues while they pee on their beards. Ugh.

I was waiting til now to start breeding. The almanac says a horribly cold winter, extreme low temps, lots of snow and general ickiness. Because I don't know how the girls will react to my new schedule come January 1st, I am opting for waiting til it gets a tad warmer for them to kid. I had one Lamancha bred this morning, a Nigerian yesterday and another Nigerian the day before that. I should have several more come in soon, and just passed on several more that came in last week.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:01:56 PM »

I kind of wish I had waited a month longer to put him in.  I think he bred all 19 in a 2 week period Embarrassed    All he has been doing for over 2 weeks is eating......

Nothing like a young, virile boy.............. Grin
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 06:45:34 AM »

I for one can not wait to see his babies...but that's a lot of kids hitting the ground in a short period of time.  Those bucks are 50% of our herds, but only do 2 weeks worth of work...and always have the prettiest colors, and massive bodies...darn them!!  kiss kiss

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 11:00:27 AM »

With all the eating he is filling out a lot!

The lady that usually buys my buck every year is going to rent him in Dec.  I wouldn't normally do that but she takes awesome care of her does and I won't worry at all while he is in her care.  When he comes home I can throw him back in if anyone acts like they were missed or didn't hold the pregnancy, it happens.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 06:36:06 AM »

Always good to keep them boys busy, and if you can trust her, that's awesome.  Helps a tad on the feed bill too. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »

I am hoping that once he is home and has to go back into his own pen I can keep him there  Grin  Once they live with the girls it isn't easy sometimes.  We may have to run some electric tape to discourage his trying to get over....
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 06:04:56 AM »

I guess we were lucky that way...Our boys didn't mind going back to their own pastures.  Once upon a time we ran our bucks together...but after Timmy went Rogue and we castrated Prince and Taddy, we ran them separately.  Though Roady (my avatar), was a good boy and never ever did any thing wrong, he got to stay with Taddy and Prince.  BoCephus, no way, he stayed in his own pasture far away from Roady. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »

Keeping the intact males together can be risky.  I used to keep my Ram and Buck together and they were fine.  Then we had an unusually cool July and they both went into full blown rut and my Buck was mortally wounded during one of  their brawls.

I guess the Ram hit him broadside and he could not get up.  It was awful and we euthanized my beautiful boy Cry  The Ram was hornless too.  Can't imagine the damage if he had horns.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 02:46:37 PM »

I keep my boys together and so far have not had a problem. They do spare, but not bad enough to hurt each other. I'm sure I will run into issues at some point.

Wow, 19 does kidding in 14 days????????? EEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »

Our boys were not disbudded/dehorned.  Those kiko's have gigantic horns...but are extremely docile and hard to rile even when in rut....those darn Boer Bucks are just the opposite...meaner than a wild boar hog when they choose to be.  Timmy was the meanest buck I ever came across.  What he did to Tadpole, was just absolutely awful.  After that, none of our bucks were run together.  Roady didn't go back in with Taddy and Prince until after they had healed very well from being castrated.  BoCephus never got the chance to be mean to any of them, or tear a fence line down.  Bo was a good boy, but I didn't take any chances after being beaten so many times by Timmy.  Really put a bad taste in my mouth for the Boer goats after that.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: