HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2019, 02:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2111 Posts in 114 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Reasons for diarrhea? UPDATE
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Reasons for diarrhea? UPDATE  (Read 88 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: November 05, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »

Mickey is a tiny and unthrifty boy born to one of my does last March.  He was a triplet and early on his mother lost 1 side of her udder due to one of the kids biting/ injuring it in the battle to nurse( is my guess).  I tried in vain to get any 2 of them on the bottle but they would not.  I guess they were getting enough and just not hungry enough.

Mickey was unfortunately the smaller one and that was his side so he was is stunted  and really just a pitiful mess.   Twice I have battled worms with him and I did do 1 round of Penn/ banamine after deworming because he just seemed " off". After that he rebounded and was doing pretty well.

In July when I bought me new Buck I put Mickey in as a companion.  Since the Buck was used to 100% alfalfa, I fed my good grass squares and some Clover and with unlimited access to the good stuff Mickey really took off.

2 weeks ago he started having loose stool.  It happened suddenly .  I dewormed him again but it made no difference.    I have been giving him Kaopectate with moderate results.

Then I wondered if it could be related to his banding a month ago?  So I gave him Baytril, orally ( must taste awful by his reaction) Saturday & Monday and his stool is much firmer.

We had to put him in a bucket of warm water 2 days in a row to wash him as his legs, tail and backside  were just awful, covered and encrusted.  Since then he has stayed clean and seems much perkier.  His appetite has been good the whole time, but does seem better now too.  I will give him 1 more round of Baytril tomorrow and kaopectate 1 more time and see what happens.

His testicles came off with the washing, as they were covered in poo and I forgot they were there and pulled them off Sad  They were ready anyways, but poor Mickey!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:59:39 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »

Coccidiosis would be my guess. However, worms, diet changes?, season changes, eating more than usual, ....so many different causes.

What color is it? Any odor? Do you see any blood or mucus?  

I've found SpectoGard Scour-Chek works great for most types of scours except cocci.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:10:04 PM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 06:32:49 AM »

It sounds like Cocci to me as well.  Please don't use Corrid on him...that stuff to me is the most awful stuff on the market for goats.

I would watch the coloration of it as well.  Green is food induced, black is cocci, yellow is Salmonella, white is ecoli.  Each are treated differently.  However when diarrhea is present, dry hay only and electrolyte water until it clears up and then slowly bring him back to grain and grasses.

Probiotic would be a must with any type of treatment.

I hate this for the little guy...sounds like he has a very weak immune system.  Keep us posted.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »

It is exactly the color of normal poo.  So you guess cocci?  I have never battled that but I can treat him for that.  I guess it won't hurt him any.

I will keep you posted.  Yes, I imagine his immune system is nowhere near where it should be.

He is such a sweet boy.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:38:11 AM »

If it's a browning greenish color that's food induced.  Have you changed hay?  Grain?  I don't like giving the cocci med's unless you know for sure.  It really does a number on their immune systems.  If you do it, just make sure you're giving probiotics and electrolytes.  Have you tried the Nutri Drench or Pepto on him? 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »

Here is hoping the Cocci treatments do the job. (I think??)  He is looking/ acting/ feeling better and has had 3 treatments now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:46:19 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 06:45:40 AM »

We'll be pulling for the little fella.  Hopefully this makes him very healthy now.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »

I euthanized Mickey this morning Cry  We had 6 degrees on Monday with a high on Tuesday well below freezing and it was just too much for him.  RIP sweet boy.  I tried.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:40 AM »

I'm so sorry  Cry  Those babies like Mickey breaks our hearts to do what we know is the ultimate best thing to do for them.  When Shane and I were rescuing babies, we had 2 that failed to thrive, and it was terrible hard to watch them waste away.  I know you did every thing you could to help him.  He is no longer ill, no longer weak, he's in heaven now, with so many that went before him, so his pastures are green, his legs are strong and his spirit is carefree.  I'm very sorry for your loss  Praying Bug Hug

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 01:50:29 PM »

Thanks Birdie.

I still see his sweet little face and bright eyes and hear his little voice when it was time for grain.  He had been doing so well and then 1 day he wasn't.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »

So sorry. Some times they just fail to thrive, no matter what you do. Those are the ones that hit us particularly hard because they are the sweetest. Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 10:23:34 AM »

I totally understand the presents of them even though we know they are gone.  We could still hear them, smell them and many times, feel them touch us...their spirits remain to show us they are doing fine, happy, healthy, and are there to ease our sorrow and painful hearts.  Once he knows you're at peace, his spirit will move on.  I truly believe, from all my experiences of loosing one (no matter how they pass on), that they are with us.  I had two that remained with me for a LONG LONG TIME...a horse colt and a shepherd.  Others that passed, were there, but not nearly as long as those two were.  I was a crushed person when I lost that horse colt and that shepherd...I thought my world had ended when I lost them...it took my heart a long, LONG time to get over the loss of them.  To this day, I still cry when I talk about my shepherd.

Close your eyes when you hear him, open your mind to his voice, and you'll smell him, and feel him touch you.  Let him do that...let him know there was no love like the love you had for him. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: