HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2019, 03:38:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2053 Posts in 111 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Valbazen Pre Breeding
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Valbazen Pre Breeding  (Read 154 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »

Wondering if Valbazen is safe to worm before breeding?  I've read it can stay in the system for quite awhile and would not want to risk a possible miscarry.  How long before breeding would this be okay to use?
Thanks!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »

If I remember correctly (when I had a bottle of that), the risk is deworming in the first 45 days of pregnancy as it can cause abortions.  It also may cause temporarily sterility for 2 weeks on your Buck ( so I was told).

I deworm a few weeks before breeding season no matter what I use just to be safe.  I think the risks come with most of the dewormers out there.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 06:45:35 AM »

I never advise using Valbazen on goats.  I know a lot of folks use it, and have no issues...however I did, and it was devastating at the least.  Several of my Does and one buck got seriously sick on it.  You have to be so exact with the dosage and weight.  We borrowed digital scales and weighed each goat, and dosed at the exact weight.  It took 3 weeks bringing them out of the illness.  Mostly allergic reactions but also lethargic reactions lead to other illnesses such as pneumonia.  I wouldn't use that stuff again if their lives depended on it.

The Bucks seemed to do better with it, but also it caused them to be sterile for 2 weeks after giving it.  The Does didn't cycle regular as they had been.  It will cause abortions for sure.  There are so many good wormers on the market that Valbazen truly isn't need. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »

Most species of worms are resistant to it, as it is the same family as safeguard. However, it is cleared to use on goats and will still work on tapeworm. I use it on my youngstock. I do use it as part of the cocktail I give to all new goats, along with Prohibit and Cydectin.

It cannot be used on pregnant goats in the first few weeks, but I would not use it on any pregnant goat. It can be used on unpregnant goats up to breeding day.

I've used it for years and never had a problem, even with the little kids. The only 2 times I have heard of people having issues was when they gave it to a pregnant doe (they aborted) and when the goat had a huge worm load and had a massive die off. That caused a major blockage in the intestinal tract and the dead worms caused toxic shock as they decomposed.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: