HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2019, 12:39:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2114 Posts in 114 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  RUT! Ugh
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: RUT! Ugh  (Read 160 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: October 31, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »

My boys have been ready since the end of July, but the girls were not.  Roll Eyes Because the almanac says that this winter is going to be HORRIBLE, bitterly cold well into spring, I decided to wait and breed the standards to kid in late March/early April and the Nigerians to kid in April when the temps are a tad warmer.

My plans were to have the boys stay in their outside areas until late October. That didn't go as planned. We got belted with the winds and rain from a couple of the hurricanes, but without the tropical warmth. It was cold. So the boys came in. The girls came in heat after a couple of weeks. What a racket! The boys screaming and flapping, the girls screaming and way too early to breed. Those blasted minis and Nigerians are loud. Louder than the obnoxious Nubians. Finally, come mid October, I started breeding the standards, and 2 of the Nigerians. I have all but 2 standards bred, still waiting for them to come in heat. I am waiting another cycle to breed the remaining Nigerians and my DIL's 2 minis.

The little Woolly Bear caterpillars are saying mild winter. Their brown/red band is wide, and some even have almost no black on their head or butt. I am going to agree with them, since they have been predicting the weather for centuries.  Wink

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:43:42 AM »

oh man...I feel for ya when it comes to those darn Hurricanes....Imelda did some terrible flooding over here...Harvey was just the biggest B*st*rd I've ever met...now with our own infrastructure collapsing and flooding as well, we have a no win situation over here and I hate this D*AMN dictatorship of these stupid Sub Divisions!!  So now I am the County Ambassador along with another gal in our community to report and head up the neglect of our Board and find out who's responsible for fixing and replacing some terribly HUGE drainage systems within our community that have totally collapsed.  Folks, these city folks are about as dumb as a box of rocks...what the heck were they thinking when they built these master planned communities!!!  Angry Angry  It's ALWAYS major drama, even when you don't know any one and you don't want to know anyone, it's brought to your front door.  They say Texas does things bigger...in our area, they are definitely WAY BIGGER A$$ES!! Gee Whiz!

I miss the noises of animals, over all this chaos and loud vehicles.  Treasure it while you can.  What I wouldn't give to have it all back.  City life (even though we live 18 miles out of town in the rural area) has ruined both mine and Shane's health.  At this point, all I want is peace and quiet and privacy.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »

Dragon-- I hope we don't use the same almanac.  We could use a nice, early, warm Spring ( for a change).  I didn't have all the noise when my girls were in heat since they shared a fence line with the buck.  Lots of noise but no screaming!

Birdie--  No way would I live in a place that tells me what I can and can't do with my own property.  I can't believe that in the big state of Texas you couldn't have found something "farm like" .  Any idea when you can leave Houston??
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:43:39 AM »

Julie we found lots of place that were in the country...with price tags of 750,000 and more.  The homes that were in the 500,000 mark the homes were crap...one home I stuck my foot throw the wall clear to the outside of the house and the seller says "oh that's no problem it can be fixed."  Oh yeah, that's the sub wall that holds the darn roof up...the house was trash.  The barn was decent but the land floods...I am sick of flooding for sure.  We only had 3 weeks left to get moved here, and time was running out...otherwise this entire move would have costed us a bundle of money.  We looked at 21 houses in 3 days.  10% of them we pulled in the driveway and back right back out of it, didn't even go in.  Don't be fooled by the "Texas" name...high priced land, that isn't worth a plug nickle...the Houston area is very expensive on housing and land...75,000 an acre isn't what we want to pay for land, and not stay here forever...we will leave here as soon as Shane retires.

In the area of Houston (even where I live is considered Unincorporated City of Houston), it's very expensive to live here.  I've seen other parts of Texas, though it's higher priced to live in them compared to Missouri, Arkansas or Louisiana, they are at least prettier places, but too far away for Shane's work.  We can live a hour away and that's it.  Houston takes 3 to 4 hours to drive from one side to the other side.  Houston is HUGE.  over 2 million people lives in Houston alone. 

We have both said, this wasn't worth the job that came with it...but it's what we have, so we have to deal with it.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »

How long till retirement??

where will you go when the time arrives??
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 06:34:29 AM »

5 yrs if he retires at 63, 7 years if he goes to 65.  We are headed back home to Arkansas.  We still have property in Bella Vista, AR.  We can build on it.  Won't have a farm but at least I'll have my grand kids.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »

So, hopefully (knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder) the standards are bred. I had 1 come back in heat, not sure my Lamancha buck is as fertile was he used to be. He is 8. He settled all but 1 of his does last year, the last one he bred never settled to him after 4 cycles, so I bred her to the Nubian and she settled first try.

This doe that just came back in was the first doe bred to him this year. We'll see how the other 4?5? I forgot how many, do.

The standards should be starting to recycle if they didn't settle later this week. I hope they are bred.

2 Nigerians were bred early on, now I have to concentrate on the others. They all seem to come in heat within a day or so of each other. Should make for an interesting spring.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 07:25:32 AM »

Deb, ya know I also saw that cycling thing....especially with Mother, Daughter, and Grand Mother...they all cycled at the same time.  Isn't that odd how that happens?  I was pleased about it though, because I would know if Satin was bred, then so was her daughter...hahaha. 

I do like the pasture breeding.  Puts them in a more natural environment I think. 

Our first year we put BoCephus in with his first 5 Does, our most high quality registered SA Boer Does...We were so excited to get some fantastic Does out of him...not to mention I had folks on the list who wanted his bucklings...and I kept wondering "why are those Does running from him?"...he was romancing up a storm, doing all he could do to get their attention...they would run, he would chase.  After 5 weeks of that, we figured he had to have them settled and bred.  So we pulled him and put him back in his pasture.  Fed him up good, and pampered him to gain back the weight he lost romancing.  The girls all settled but one...Momma Doe didn't settle, the best SA Boer Doe we had on the place....she didn't settle..made us sick...but she did come to us in a really bad shape, on death row, barely survived, so we gave her another year off...

As time went by, those 4 Does that were bred to BoCephus started kidding...IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN IT WAS A MONTH TOO EARLY!!!  Those babies were perfect, nice size babies, fully developed, and the second Doe that kidded, had a baby that looked JUST LIKE THUNDER, and absolutely nothing like BoCephus.  As we thought back, it was Thunder who bred them, and that's why they ran from BoCephus...Thunder was ONLY 4 months old when he bred the best Does on my place!!!  That little fertile freak put me 2 inbred babies on the ground, that were the best babies born that year....I was sick to my stomach over that.

Accidental unplanned breeding's happen...that's what I told myself...as I watched those bucklings from Thunder turn into some kind of something to be awed....and the 2 inbreds were sent to slaughter.  Such a shame.  But I never EVER let that happen again.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 03:01:27 PM »

So, it appears that my LaMancha buck, my sweet, beloved Adammair, is now sterile. Last year all his does took, except the last one bred. I bred her to him 5 different heats (let her live with him for the standing heat period) before I put her with the Nubian. She took first try with him.

This year, every doe that has been bred to him has come back in heat.  Sad I have people who snap up his kids in a heartbeat and ask to be on the list for the next year. Now there will be no more Addy kids. He sired the bestest, biggest, heaviest, highest producing sons and daughters no matter what the dam was. Plus he is worm and foot rot resistant, which he has passed on to the majority of his kids.  Cry Cry Cry Cry  Not sure what to do with him. I absolutely LOVE this sweet boy. What other buck would stand around and just hang out while you braided his chin length bangs? I guess I can have him wethered this spring and train him for harness, as he is a huge brute and could probably haul a tree with ease.  I'll never be able to afford to replace him, and I'm not sure I want another Lamancha buck to replace him. I guess I'll stick to Nubians and Nigerians.

I just put the Nubian buck in with my standard herd. It breaks my heart.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 10:17:27 AM »

Deb, I know you are limited on space, and you need a good standing sire...but when one of our boys completed their dedication and work for us, we retired them, and kept them.  They have the right to live the rest of their lives in peace, good health, and safe environment.  He is a pet as well as a standing sire...his heart is as bonded to you as you are to him.  He may be a great boy to use with the weanlings, or a great companion to a younger buck, or better yet a good teaser when you want a Doe in heat.  No matter what you use him for, he will serve you well, even if it's just showing you unconditional love every single day of the remaining time he has left.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »

Is there a way to test him first?  Any minerals lacking in the does where conception may be affected?I didn't think the bucks lost their ability??

I guess you didn't keep one of his sons?  Did anyone close to you buy a son that you could use??

I am sorry.  It is always the special ones isn't it.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 05:26:39 PM »

Everything points to Addy for not settling, especially after the last one last year. They all get extra minerals along with their regular loose minerals- Replamine Plus, copper bolus and selenium/Vit E powder added to their grain.

The worst of it, the Nubian is too small to reach some of the bigger does.

Even if I kept a son, which I didn't, I wouldn't be able to use him as all my Lamancha does would be half and full siblings.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »

The Nub needs to be on a high spot then you just back the girl in.  That is what I did when I had a smaller boar and a big sow.  It worked then Grin
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »

The concept is totally beyond his comprehension.  Roll Eyes I tried but he would not cooperate.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: