HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 06:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
wcm

Stats
2691 Posts in 158 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: 20goats
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Meat Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Big boy
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Big boy  (Read 476 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: December 06, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »

I had kept 3 kids for the freezer this year, but couldn't find any place to have them processed. I sold 2 a couple of months ago, kept the 3rd in case I could find someone. I finally gave up and called a dealer.

The kid he picked up today was a Lamancha, born the end of March of this year. I knew he was big, but.....he weighed in at 145! And that was not fat, he was heavily muscled. The dealer said he was keeping him for his own freezer and couldn't get over the size of this dairy kid! Wink He kept shaking his head and put in an order for next year! LOL

Too bad the sire of this kid, who sires those fast growing, well muscled bucklings, is now sterile. Boo. Sad

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »

wow, I'm totally amazed that there was no slaughter houses/processors around that you could find.  They are every where in the states that I've lived in.  That's a shame.  Happy you got an ongoing customer though. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »

Why didn't you keep him for breeding instead??
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »

I wethered him 2 months ago when the does started coming in heat.

There are very few slaughterhouses in my area. Most are booked up a year in advance, several have gone out of business. On top of that, it's hunting season, so they only handle game. They can't do game and domestic at the same time, against regulations. They can't do cattle and sheep/goats at the same time, and poultry can't be done with any other species. AGH. I will make reservations for next September this spring, so I will be sure to have a spot.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »

I wethered him 2 months ago when the does started coming in heat.

That would make using him difficult  Grin Roll Eyes
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »

Oh, he certainly tried, but he was shooting blanks. laugh

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: