HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 08:28:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2386 Posts in 138 Topics by 729 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goats and Pines
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Goats and Pines  (Read 158 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: December 18, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »

I have a 7 month buckling who this morning was vigorously chewing a foamy cud.  The only thing I could think of is the herd has been eating some pine needles over the past couple weeks.  Everything else in his diet is the same.  Could he be exhibiting a bit of toxicity to the evergreens?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 07:12:04 AM »

Pine needles are good for them, and also helps with worm resistance.  However, if the little guy ate too many, it's possible that it is an issue with him.  You could give him a small dose of activated charcoal.  I hope he's better by now though.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »

Yes, I did give him charcoal and he was ok today.  I read where certain pine species may cause some toxicity but that yes, they're good for goats.  Maybe just because they were getting branches every day, though I would not say overdoing it.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »

Yeah, there is one that is toxic to goats, but I don't remember which species because we don't have them in my part of the country.

However, too much of anything can upset a goats "belly", so to speak. Hopefully he's all better now. I've ahd no computer access. AGH.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »

Whatever it was he got over it quick.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: