HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 07:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
wcm

Stats
2776 Posts in 163 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: 20goats
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Birdie - TX tax question
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Birdie - TX tax question  (Read 319 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: January 13, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »

Birdie--
I have a BIL in Tomball who's gotten into a bit of a bind. Can you tell me if TX has a "personal property tax"?  In VA, we pay $100 - $200 per year for each car/truck or utility trailer.  This is separate from and on top of property tax (land and improvements.)  Do you have such a thing in TX?

Thanks,

Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 05:33:00 AM »

Hey Pat,
In Missouri, and Arkansas they do have personal property tax as well.  But in Texas they do not.  You do have the break tag inspections, and licensing a vehicle is rather expensive.  Our trucks are 85.00 per year to license and I can't recall, but I think the inspection is like 50.00 or more, so a total of around 135.00 a year to tag your vehicles.  There are no "perm" tags here either, so every trailer, every vehicle, every motorcycle, every boat, has to be tagged and inspected every year.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »

We have to pay an excise tax when we register our vehicles every year. It is a % of what it costs brand new, and never goes down in price. Plus it costs to register/plate renewal. It cost me 182.00 to re-register my 2003 Chevy pick up every year. Angry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 06:34:05 AM »

oh my goodness...don't think I'd like that. 

From Missouri (I do believe the cheapest state in the nation to live in, but is also one of the lowest income states in the nation), to Arkansas wasn't too much of a difference.  Groceries were a tad higher, and housing a tad higher, but income was much better, so it evened out.  Arkansas to Louisiana, I thought I would die over the cost of living change...oh dear...I was shocked, It was like double what it cost us in AR.  But the move here to TX, OH MY GOSH!!!  TRIPLE OH MY GOSH!!!  I'm told Harris county is the highest county to live in, but I don't know...seems like it's not much different from here to the next county over...What use to cost me around 2000.00 to live for a month, now costs me 7000.00 to live for a month and I crunch down on EVERY THING.  I can't believe this.  One thing for sure, when Shane retires, we will NOT stay in Texas.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »

Coming from CA I first complained about Personal Property Tax when we first moved here after we married.  If you don't own an expensive new vehicle, renewals are 58.00 for 2 years.  The bad thing is you must get a vehicle inspection and pass it to get a new tag.

Even so it is way cheaper than CA.  Every state is different.  I think MN was easiest and most affordable and no inspections at all Smiley
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »

Yep, we pay what seems to be a fortune for tags every year (almost $200 for our 2010 3/4 ton pickup), and an inspection (but that's only about $20.00.)  I always thought the inspections in MO were done the best -- they actually checked and aligned your headlights properly.  Never saw that anywhere else (CA, AZ, TX, MA or VA -- yeah, we moved around a lot.)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 03:16:03 AM »

We have to have our vehicles inspected yearly. The costs is, I think, $45.00. If you fail, you do not get your money back and have to get whatever fixed and have it re-inspected for another 45.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 07:40:13 AM »

I think all states do the inspections of your Vehicles, at least the ones I've lived in does.  We have that here in TX as well, only it's called "Break Tag inspections".  We have to have that done and register it with the state, and they issue you a tag that's in the lower left corner of the your windsheild.  That takes the place of sticker tags for your plates.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »

I think all states do the inspections of your Vehicles, at least the ones I've lived in does.  We have that here in TX as well, only it's called "Break Tag inspections".  We have to have that done and register it with the state, and they issue you a tag that's in the lower left corner of the your windsheild.  That takes the place of sticker tags for your plates.

Minnesota doesn't.  At least it didn't in 2014 when we left.  People drove around in some pretty rough vehicles with no lights , bumpers etc Grin.

here you need an inspection every other year and it is just $12.  If you don't pass I am not sure if you have to pay again when they check that you got the issue fixed?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 10:54:13 PM »

We get a colored sticker on our windshield with the month it was done cut out. Each year is a different color, and in big, bold black letters is the year, in this case 19/20 or 20/21.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 07:35:00 AM »

We get that same thing here Deb.  In fact my truck is due to be inspected and re-licensed. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: