HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2021, 09:05:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Welcome To Goatbeat!!

Stats
2972 Posts in 175 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: 20goats
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Stillborn kid
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Stillborn kid  (Read 1082 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: February 14, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »

I had a doe deliver a still born kid.  She wasn't due for at least 2 weeks .  Kid was lovely and perfect  Cry    She passed the afterbirth right next to the baby and appeared normal when we found her this morning. As of now she didn't lose any more and she looks to be big enough to have another kid in her. 

Can they lose one and carry the sibling to full term with a live birth?   

Never had it happen before like that.  I wonder if she got rammed?  I have some very irritable girls with this weather.  It was 2 degrees this morning which didn't help.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 11:53:51 PM »

I have heard of that happening, but it is very rare. Usually if they abort, they abort all the kids they are carrying.

I hope this is not the case and she goes on to have healthy twins.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 07:00:48 AM »

I agree with Deb.  The chances are very slim.  Bless her heart.  Sorry for your loss.  I know when one of our does was rammed and lost her kids, it was awful, not only on her but on us as well. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 01:13:46 PM »

I think she was only carrying one.  I will watch her, then I will just plan on putting her in with Bo when he comes home.  That makes 2 or maybe 3 does( 1 I'm not sure if she is bred)  who will kid in summer.  Might be a nice change!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 06:55:17 AM »

You don't worry about them over heating in the summer time birthing?  Or the kids laying in the sun too long? 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »

You don't worry about them over heating in the summer time birthing?  Or the kids laying in the sun too long? 

Honestly my does seem to just shove those kids out so fast, it seems the birth os over as soon as it starts.  I have had a few birth at that time of year early on in our goat keeping and they did fine, as did the kids.

One thing I will do is keep them up at the barn when kidding is close and I can pen them out of the direct sun during the hottest part of the day.  I hate to lose the potential of 6-7 kids.  I think I can manage with some careful watching.  I have loads of time since I am no longer working-- nor will I be.  I am once again a stay at home wife and loving it!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:31:24 AM »

I usually have a couple of stragglers who kid in July, during the hottest part of summer. I know it doesn't get as hot up here as it does down there, but mine are used to cooler temps, so the heat is just as brutal to them. My kids seem to stay out of the hottest of the heat, as do the does, and I have never had issues with heat and the kids. For me, the problems of the summer births are for worm and cocci loads because we are usually very humid which those blasted parasites LOVE.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »

Worm issues are almost year round here, so I am not too worried about that.  I am doing the copper every 6 months and I already have it purchased  for the kids when they are old enough.

Bo came home yesterday Smiley  He walked off the trailer and when we put him in his old pen, he calmly gazed around, went into the stall and hopped into the manger( his favorite spot).  I had the 3 does in the pen on his arrival.  My friend said he was a nervous, unhappy goat when he went to their place ( upon arrival).  She said "I think he remembers this place".  I said " i think your right".  Bo then came up and asked for a kiss.  I obliged since he didn't smell too bad Grin.  Then he started eating...

Kids could start coming on the 26th.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 06:14:12 AM »

Julie that's so odd that you have worm issues year round.  In MO and AR we really didn't have any issues with worms.  I know our land in AR was maiden land, no other livestock had ever been ran on that property, and I truly think that's why we had no issues with them, and the fact that they were wormed every 3 months helped.  In Missouri, we were running different animals, cattle, horses, hogs, goats, and chickens.  But there was 1200 acres to do that on, so no one was crowed or running together.  I wonder if that's why we didn't have issues?  Now down here in LA and TX, yeah buddy, worms are an issue year round.  In LA, we rotated wormers every 8 to 10 weeks.  You didn't miss a worming session for sure.  The other threats down here are Polio and Listeria.  They'll wipe you out in no time. 

Bo sounds so awesome.  I'll bet he is happy to be home.  Will you have to merge him back onto your grain, or did your friend feed the same grain? 

Happy Kidding Season to you.  How's the shoulder doing?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 03:17:56 PM »

My big Lamancha buck, Adammair, loves to be kissing...on the lips, of course. Silly boys!

Here's hoping for some nice healthy kids for you!

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »

I guess I should clarify .  Not year round with worms, but one the grass starts growing the battle is on. I have 2 pastures that I rotate but not much you can do when they to the grazed down spots over and over as well as the abundant grass.  I let it all get long before I turn them out, but they go rift to certain spots immediately.

I think things would be easier with no pasture.  They do love going out on it.

Yes, Dragon right on the lips!!  Those lovable boys are something Grin

Today is day 145 from when Bo as first put in.  I hope they go another week, but man a few are really hanging low.

I am doing good Birdie.  Done with PT and just doing my stretching and strengthening exercises 3 times a day now at home.  I was doing it 4 times but it takes almost an hour and I felt I no sooner got done than I had to do them again.  I wasn't getting anything accomplished in between!!

My doctor was pleased with my progress and the X-ray they took at my appointment last week.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:03:24 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 07:25:57 AM »

Julie that's really good to hear.  So happy that you're healing so well.  Please be careful...I do know how easy it is to say "I can do that.." and it come back and bite you in the bun real quick.  Sounds like you've got a lot of excitement coming up.  I so wish it were my issue as well.  What I wouldn't give to be back in the surroundings of creatures instead of Loud vehicles, airplanes, and the over abundance of people.  I long to hear the baa's of the goats at feeding time, the moo's of the cows calling their calves, the cackle of the hens as they lay eggs, I really really miss that.  The stars at night that can be seen for miles away.  The call of the whiperwill.  I don't think I'll ever have that back now.  So, enjoy what you have, even though the work load is overwhelming, and the down days are sometimes devistating.  Take a deep breathe of the night air and look up to count the stars, the sunrise over the forest trees, a cup of coffee on the front porch, the peace and quiet of the new fallen snow.  I long for those days. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »

Julie that's really good to hear.  So happy that you're healing so well.  Please be careful...I do know how easy it is to say "I can do that.." and it come back and bite you in the bun real quick.  Sounds like you've got a lot of excitement coming up.  I so wish it were my issue as well.  What I wouldn't give to be back in the surroundings of creatures instead of Loud vehicles, airplanes, and the over abundance of people.  I long to hear the baa's of the goats at feeding time, the moo's of the cows calling their calves, the cackle of the hens as they lay eggs, I really really miss that.  The stars at night that can be seen for miles away.  The call of the whiperwill.  I don't think I'll ever have that back now.  So, enjoy what you have, even though the work load is overwhelming, and the down days are sometimes devistating.  Take a deep breathe of the night air and look up to count the stars, the sunrise over the forest trees, a cup of coffee on the front porch, the peace and quiet of the new fallen snow.  I long for those days. 

I am so sorry you are stuck in a place you would rather not be.  The things we have to do for our spouses is hard at times.  I know you still have property in Arkansas?  No chance of ending up there when Shane retires??

As hard ( and painful at times) as it is with the animals, I am glad I don't have to be without.

If you leave now you can be up here in time for kidding  Grin  I have one who I am watching.  praying she holds out another week in hopes of warmer weather!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:21 AM »

Thanks Julie.  I look forward to seeing pictures of all your newborns this year.  They were so spectacular last year.

Yes, we still own property in AR.  We would love to go back there when Shane retires.  Our only hold back for that property is it's vacant land.  We would have to build.  That land is in Bella Vista AR.  So again another subdivision type thing, only 1000% better than the one we are in now.  It would be more secluded though, as there is only one house built up there.  So we would not have neighbors to be concerned with and privacy would be way better.  That property over looks one of the 8 lakes in Bella Vista.  So the scenery would be breathe taking.  But will we be able to build?  Their deed restrictions requires at least a 2000 sq foot home.  Would it be better for us to purchase a home else where or build on that land?  There are so many things running through our mind for retirement.  Of course when that's the time on your hands, that's what you do, think about retirement. haha.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »

If you sold your current home, would you be able to purchase a smallish farm in AR with a house and barns already built and in good shape? How many years before Shane can retire?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: