HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 08:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Welcome To Goatbeat!!

Stats
2964 Posts in 175 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: 20goats
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Who determines the gender ?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Who determines the gender ?  (Read 363 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: March 11, 2020, 01:11:43 PM »

Who determines the gender and how many kids?  Is it the buck? Doe? Or a combined effort??

Up until today I had 10 boys and 1 girl.  I had 3 sets of twins and all the rest were singles.

Today my 1/4 Nubian  " Cindy Lou" blessed me with Triplet GIRLS !!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 06:39:38 AM »

I've always believed that it was the buck who determined gender.  There are pro's and con's to both thoughts though.  Years ago, I was advised by a very big Boer Breeder who showed their goats nationwide, that I should always purchase a buck that was a twin birthing of Buck/Doe.  They also advised me to never by a buck that was a single kid.  They did the invitro transfer with their goats.  They only took the strongest eggs and strongest sperms to fertilize one another.  None of their Does carried kids after their first kidding.  You may know them, they are in Missouri.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »

This one stumps me.  For the first 15 years I bred goats I had a slightly higher rate of does to bucks.  The past 5 years I've had a 3-1 buck/doe ratio - so frustrating.  Because I used a different herdsire in each of those 5 years!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »

In all my years breeding , I usually come pretty close to 50/50 ratio of bucks to does, but it is always more boys.  My Buck Beau was bred a few times by his previous owner/ breeder, and since he was younger I anticipated a few more single kids but not all the boys!!

Here are my 3 girls.  April, May, June. ( april is solid, may- spotted & june dark pinto).

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:17:41 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 06:17:33 AM »

Those are some really gorgeous babies!!  Especially June!!  She's an eye popper!!  Congrats on those girls.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 09:44:46 AM »

Agree - beauties!  That June is a stunner.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:22:11 PM »

Thank you ( not that I had anything to do with it!!)  This doe produces such high quality kids every year. I have kept every girl she has given me and wonder what I am going to do now?? I can only keep so many every year......
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 12:30:08 AM »

Males determine sex, females determine how many by how many eggs she releases and can keep alive. However, if a buck has a poor sperm quantity and quality, he may not be able to fertilize all the eggs.

Some years I have more does than bucks, other years I have more bucks than does. I sat down one day and tallied up all the kids from several years crops.  It averaged 51% does to 49% bucks, from several different bucks.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: