HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 09:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
2386 Posts in 138 Topics by 729 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Kidding season starts
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Kidding season starts  (Read 303 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 06:15:29 PM »

Well, he is a Friday the 13th kid, hence the names. They will all get names when sold anyway, so I let my son and daughter in law name them if they were the ones to assist in delivery. That would be why I have a doe named Duck Duck Goose.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 12:49:15 PM »

We name everyone too and some people keep the names when they buy them.  I just like having something to call them beside " Lisa'a boy" or "Autums girl" etc..

I hope Peanut continues to do well and gets stronger.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 06:50:52 PM »

3 does with live kids-

Natalie the Nigerian- 1 doeling

Trillium the Nubian- twin bucks

Gracie the Nubian- Triplets - 2 bucks and a doe.

All healthy.

I thought Gracie would have twins, she didn't look big enough for any more. We were up the house getting the doe and buckling warmed up and fed. I went outside to bring the dogs in when I heard a baby scream. Jason had some how jumped into the water tub and couldn't get out. I ran in and grabbed him out, gave him to his mother to dry off. It was sunny and mid today, in the upper 40's. Just hours after have 8 inches of snow dumped on us! Trillium got him moving in the sun, so he is fine. While I was in the barn, I checked on Gracie. I was looking for her afterbirth. Instead I saw an odd looking thing in the shadows of the stall. Closer look showed a tiny leg. Yup, she surprised me with another buck- a very flashy mostly black tri with lots of white. All three guzzled down about 10 ounces of colostrum for their first meal and napped for 4 hours. Not sure where Grace had these 3 hidden, but they are big kids!

I figured the Nubians would have a lot of bucks because the sire was a first timer young'un. They always seem to have bucks.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 07:41:45 AM »

Wow 6 new babies.  That's awesome.  Congratulations.  I like those smooth easy going kiddings.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 01:15:40 PM »

Congrats Dragon!  I think it is a " boy year" this year.  Are you bottling every baby??  That is a lot of work.  How do you manage with your working hours?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »

We are currently bottling 4 kids. The tiny buckling from Trillium was too tiny to be able to stay with mom, so he came in the house. All doelings are pulled and bottled, as well as sire potential bucklings, so Gracies trips. The other bucks stay with Mom. Trilliums first buck, the one still with her, had already nursed from her, so it was hard to get him to take the bottle. He gets to stay with mom.

The Nigerians get to keep their kids, no matter the sex.

On work days, my son will feed the kids when I am at work and milk Trillium. I will do it all on my days off.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:53:58 PM by dragonlair » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: