HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2020, 02:37:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
wcm

Stats
2854 Posts in 166 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: 20goats
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Totally bummed and discouraged
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Totally bummed and discouraged  (Read 458 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: April 20, 2020, 01:54:09 AM »

Years ago I bought an extremely nice, well bred Nigerian buck to breed to my standards for minis. His kids were so awesome that I bought several Nigerian does for him. 2 of those I got from his original breeder, who is well known in the area for her quality animals. In fact, even at 8 years of age, I have been offered a lot of money for my buck.

Anyway, these 2 does are show quality, just all round beautiful girls, and a perfect match for my buck. I bred them last fall. The Chamoisee kidded on Friday morning with triplets. Even at birth, the kids looked beautiful and show material.

That was until I got a good look at their teats. The 2 doelings have 4 teats, and the buck has 3. I am devastated. I had such plans for her kids. On top of that, the other doe did not settle, though I may be able to get her in heat later this year.

Yesterday I checked out moms udder, since I was in shock about the "extras". I have not seen any "extras" sired by my buck, so it had to have come from the doe, or a recessive gene from both sides. Yeah, there, plain as day in the bright sunlight on a now full udder were 2 extra teats. Small and non-functioning, but there.

I texted the breeder to let her know what I had found. She was surprised and sympathetic. She is refunding me the money I paid for the doe, but man, all my plans are destroyed now. This doe was going to be one of 2 extremely well bred foundation does for my Nigerian herd. The breeder sold all of her stock a few months later, as brain cancer she had beaten years ago returned, and she didn't think she would be able to continue caring for them. Fortunately, she is in remission, though they didn't think at the time she could have beaten it.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 07:10:25 AM »

how sad.  I do hate to hear this.  However, they may not be able to be shown, but if the teats are tiny and non functional, then they could still raise babies and nurse them just fine.  I know buyers don't want 4 teated Does, but, I had a few of them, and they all did just fine.  I know this much, any Nigi baby is gorgeous, and I would most certainly take them in a heart beat, no matter how many teats they had.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »

I am sorry to hear that too.

I however have several does with extra teats and since I don't show I am not worried about it.  They raise awesome kids and their girls don't always have an extra.  Maybe next year will be better?  At least you have beautiful healthy kids to sell and I am sure you will still get decent money.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 04:58:57 PM »

Extra teats on a dairy goat is a huge DQ and absolute no-no. These kids will have to be sold with no registration papers and a no breeding clause, as this is a huge issue, plus the buckling will need to be wethered before leaving. This could ruin my reputation and credibility, that's how serious it is. And unfortunately, value wise they are pretty much worthless as far as price goes. Very few people up here want goats as pets, they want show quality, milkers or breeders. These kids are none of those. And while moms extra teats are small, they are still very visible. Its obviously a strong trait in her genetics if all 3 kids have at least 2 extra teats. They, in turn, would no doubt pass this on to any kids they would have, keeping this trait alive and ruining future generations. Plus, it is detrimental to the breed as a whole. I'm probably going to have to send them all to a rescue that will spay the does and end that genetic mutation in that line.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 06:50:26 AM »

No offense here, but I think Maine has this all messed up.  Spaying a Doe because of something like this is despicable.    To judge them as such is an "AMERICAN" mistake just like what they are doing with dogs.  I'm sorry Deb, what you've told us infuriates me.  I would most definitely report this as abuse.  Send them to slaughter, all of them.  Why send them to a rescue if people do not want "Pets". 

This is so wrong that it stinks.  Send them down here, people here want them as pets.  I know I most certainly would.

I think this is a bunch of hoopla that needs to be canned.  Compassion is not a Maine trait is it?

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 01:06:29 PM »

That is really drastic.  I know udder quality in a dairy doe is important, but wow.  

The loss of revenue for you is a real blow.  Maybe if you advertise,  someone out of state might like a high quality goat for their small farm where genetics aren't important.

If you sell with full disclosure than your reputation shouldn't be ruined??
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:09:14 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:11:15 PM »

I will not sell them for breeding. I breed to better the quality of the species, not to cause bad genetics to keep going. These kids should never be bred, plain and simple. I certainly do not want my herd name, or my bucks name, associated with this disqualifying gene. It's obviously a strong trait if all 3 kids have it. I'll keep mom because she is gorgeous to look at, but I will not breed her again. I was thinking about it, but then reality took hold. Even if she has kids without the extras, they will most likely be carriers. Don't want what happened to me happen to someone else years from now.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: