HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2020, 03:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
wcm

Stats
2457 Posts in 147 Topics by 729 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Valbazen Question
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Valbazen Question  (Read 279 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: May 05, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »

My bottle of valbazen states many types of worms can be treated in cattle and sheep, but only liver flukes in goats.  Why doesn't this drug target the others in goats when he claims to in other species?  Is it simply because Valbazen isn't labeled for caprine use except for flukes or that it is not effective? 
I've used Valbazen previously but now wonder if it really did hit things like tapes and stomach worms, etc.   
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »

With the risks that comes with Valbazen, I stopped using it.  I had 3 Yearly does react to it and if I had not known the side affects to it and caught it early they would have died.  Not worth the weight they brag about it for sure.  There are so many other de-wormers on the market that Valbazen needs to be removed.  Oh I know, many of you are going to argue with me about it, and that's fine, you've never had the side affects hit so hard that your animal lays fighting for it's life either.  Well "never" always has an ending.  So with that said.  The new label you're reading is probably for that very reason.  Why not just use Safeguard?  Valbazen is suppose to be like Safeguard (only Valbazen is NOT safe), so just use Safeguard dosing 1cc per 10lbs of body weight given 3 days in a row for all stomach worms except Hookworms and then it's dosed 1cc per 10lbs of body weight for 5 days. 

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »

Thanks.  This is similar to Ivermectin Pour On.  I've never used it as I've had a couple fellow goaters lose animals from it.  Any thoughts on this wormer?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »

I used Valbazen one year and I was not impressed with the results.I had to go back and use Cydectin   I think it actually treats the worms listed for the other animals with the addition of liver flukes in goats??  Anyways I get my best results with Cydectin and I use the Ivermectin on occasion if my goats are bothered by mites / lice in the Spring and chewing on their legs.

I've never bothered with Safeguard since the resistance is so low?  I've heard it was basically useless to use in goats, but I am probably wrong.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:57:31 AM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:14:12 AM »

I don't use any of the pour on's any more.  Cydectin Sheep and Goat drench is one of the best on the market, as Julie has said.  I basically used Cydectin and Ivermectrin Horse Paste wormer on my goats and if needed I used Panacur or Safeguard.  Panacur is a lot better than Safeguard although they are the same type of a wormer.  I will use Panacur or Safeguard on babies for sure, as I feel the other chemical wormers are too strong.  Down here in the Southern states, worms in livestock runs dangerously high due to the heat, humidity, moist lands in the winter and no type of true cold weather.  Here you must worm more often than in the other 2 states I lived in.  Worm over loads here are the #1 killers of livestock animals.  In Louisiana I wormed every 8 weeks sometimes I made it 10 weeks but only if the weather was seasonably colder than normal.

Each state is different, depending on your temp's and seasons.  Northern states seem to have less issue with worm overloads.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »

I have only dewormed my goats by mouth, as Birdie said.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: