HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 09, 2020, 12:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
wcm

Stats
2582 Posts in 154 Topics by 729 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Valbazen Question
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Valbazen Question  (Read 403 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »

Barberpole worms are developing a resistance to the cold weather as well as worm medications. They are acclimating to the frigid weather and actually thriving in the cold now. Yay. Angry

I am living off of 1 paycheck, not much above minimum wage. Actually it's only 62 cents above minimum wage, so buying anything more than 1 acre was totally out of the question. I clean the doe stall out daily and disinfect the floor before putting down fresh bedding.

Other than barber pole worms and the occasional liver fluke outbreak, my goats are healthy. I had that one outbreak of pneumonia brought in from another herd, but that is gone now. I went for years with absolutely no Barber pole worms, they just didn't exist in Maine until people started importing Boer goats from down south and out west. Along with those Boers came Barberpole and CL. Even the formerly resistant Kikos are starting to have issues with them. I've been hearing from Kiko breeders and Ag colleges that they are having losses from BPW.

My Lamancha buck is worm and foot rot resistant, as is the majority of his kids. However, the Nubians are not. I am keeping a couple of crosses to see if I can get some resistance in my Nubians, even if I have to backtrack and go from purebred  and breed up to American. Unfortunately, Addy, my Lamancha buck is older and was sterile this past season. I am trying to get him back to fertility by giving him selenium and Vit e supplements weekly, as well as his BO-SO injection. I started giving him the milkers grain ration, which has a bit more protein and higher in some vitamins and minerals, too, in hope of building him back up. I changed the goats minerals, too,  so hopefully that helps a bit, also.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: