HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2020, 11:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
wcm

Stats
2581 Posts in 154 Topics by 729 Members
Latest Member: wroznak
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Under Quarantine
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Under Quarantine  (Read 257 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: June 19, 2020, 06:44:06 PM »

So, 6 weeks ago, my Malamutes killed a rabid coon that wandered into their dog yard. I had to get them both rabies boosters, even though they had both had their regular rabies vaccine in January.

Yesterday morning, I let my Pyrenees, Nessa, out to do her morning patrol. I took Ramsey and Rocky out on leashes, walking over to their dog yard. As we walked by the horse area, we both saw it at the same time, a fox lying right by the fence line/water trough for the horses. The dogs lunged, 250 pounds of dog yarding on me, pulling me to the fox. I couldn't stop them and they grabbed the fox, Nessa heard the commotion and joined in. They killed the fox before I could get them away from it. I screamed for my son, who ran out and got the dogs in the house while I grabbed the body and brought it to the front lawn. I called the Maine CDC, they took the report and had me call the Game wardens to pick it up to test, because despite looking healthy (except it was dying) we decided it needed to be tested.

I got the call today.....positive for rabies. Now, my 3 dogs, whoa re UTD on rabies, need to be boostered. My horses have to have their rabies, also. My farm is quarantined for 45 days. Fortunately, the goats were not involved or I would have to have them ALL vaccinated by the vet. As is, it's going to cost me around 500.00 to get the dogs and horses done. The dogs will be around 100.00, the vet is coming over in the morning to do them. However, he is a small animal vet and frail (he's like 90 years old) so he doesn't do large animals. My App gelding is easy to do, the Hackney pony, not so much. He is scared to death of humans and I can't catch him as is. This is going to be a treat.

On top of this, my truck is dying and needs work to run. It's going in the shop on Monday.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Angry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 06:38:28 AM »

oh my goodness!!  Rabies costs that much up there in Maine?  Shew, that's incredible.  I wonder why you all are having a rabies outbreak like that?  Ya know Deb, I don't think I'd do those rabies shots until the text comes back.  If it's positive then do it, if it's not then don't.  If the horses aren't bitten they shouldn't need one.  The dogs...I don't understand that....Apollo accidentally grabbed Shane's hand, when they were playing with the ball.  He bit down on Shane real bad...to the point Shane had to go to the ER.  When it's a dog bite you all know what has to be done through the ER.  Long story on this one, so I'll skip through all that...the end story is that Apollo had to be on "house arrest" (we begged for that, as they were going to take him and quarantine him for 10 days), and the ACO came by once a day to check on him.  That quarantine was for 14 days.  They said they wouldn't have done that, because he was UTD on his shots, but Apollo had killed a mole the night before.  Any way, they never made Shane do shots, and Apollo didn't have to do boosters. 

I sure wish you didn't have to go through all this again.  Sounds like a real mess.  Hopefully the testing comes back quickly.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »

The testing did come back and the fox was positive for rabies, that is why they all need the rabies booster (dogs) and rabies vaccination (horse/pony). All ordered by the State Vet, who can take the animals if I don't comply.

At least, thanks to rabies, all my dogs are current (and then some!) for 3 years. They were anyway, but the 2 pups only had their one year, first rabies vaccination until this happened. Now all 6 are on the same schedule instead of a couple one year and a couple the next.

Any time a dog bites a human, they are quarantined for 10 days if the rabies is UTD. If they had one that expired, it could be 10 days ( if not long expired) up to 45 days. If the dog had never had a rabies vaccination, it's a minimum of 45 day quarantine period, up to 6 months.

If the dog(cat, horse, goat...any domestic animal) gets exposed to a confirmed rabid animal, they have to have a booster. If they are UTD, then the quarantine is 10 days. If they are not, it is 45 days to 6 months, sometimes more depending on where the bite was and the size of the animal bitten. My Appaloosa gelding has had rabies vaccinations in the past, so he just needs a booster, but it's still 45 days in quarantine. The Hackney pony has never had one, so he is in the 45 days to 6 month group and needs his vaccination now.

I called my vet yesterday afternoon and explained  what happened...again. He said ti would be easier if he packed up his wife and daughter and came here, instead of me carting 3 big dogs in 95 degree weather. I hadn't mentioned the horses before because he is near 90 and getting pretty frail. However, we got to talking vaccinations and I mentioned having to do the horses and they even ordered me to do the goats. He said he would do the horses for me, so, he did.

I am seriously considering asking him if he could order enough vaccine for me to do all my goats, with some left over for the horses next year.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »

If you give the rabies vaccine yourself it won't be recognized as being given , right?  Used to be we could get and give the rabies vaccine but it has been years now since that was do-able.  What a mess and a lot of expense for you.  I just had my pup vaccinated for rabies and it was  around $10.00( or less) .  Why is it so high for you?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:09:50 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 06:35:43 PM »

If I went to any other vet for the rabies for just one dog, it would be around 75.00. Ridiculous costs up here. A farm visit is 150.00 just for a vet to step foot on your farm.

My mother lives in a state where rabies vaccine can be bought and shipped to, so I may just order a 100 dose package and have it shipped to her and grab it next month. I will vaccinate the goats with that and just not report it. It's 2 dog doses per goat or horse.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 06:44:20 AM »

Yes, I know the Rabies laws.  That's nationwide.  However, I've never ever heard of any ACO or Sheriff who required you to give another vaccine if they've already had them.  That doesn't make sense.  Apollo was on house arrest, he'd had his shots, and they didn't require us to get him a booster or another shot.  The cost for a rabies shot here in Texas is 32.00 across the board no matter who you go to.  In LA they were 30.00 no matter who you went to.  Arkansas and Missouri if I remember right it was 28.00 across the board...and they can't charge office calls for rabies if you don't walk in the door.  They can come and give the shots in your vehicles. 

Maine is messed up Deb.  What you have told us over the years about Maine, I don't think I want to ever live there. 

We can't get the vaccine here in Texas, but I could in LA.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 10:00:24 PM »

The booster is pretty standard protocol after a confirmed or suspected rabies exposure. It's what the CDC has determined to be proper rabies treatment for humans and all other domestic species of mammals.

Every vet I have seen in several states all charge for an office visit if you show up at their hospital, whether you enter the building or not. If you get any type of service from them, even in the parking lot, they charge an office call.

It was not the Sheriff or ACO. it's the state following the guidelines from the Federal CDC. The ACO serves the Quarantine paperwork and checks on the animals quarantined. The Sheriff has nothing to do with any of it. In Maine it is strictly the state CDC, State Veterinarian, Department of Agriculture/Animal Welfare and town ACO that enforce the feds guidelines.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »

If you have a way to get affordable vaccine for your goats I don't blame you for going that route.  Some states make vet care almost out of reach for most of us.  In MN the small animal vet was about 3x higher than what I pay for here.  Thankfully I had a large animal"old school" vet who worked out of his home who was so affordable I always said " is that all??" when he gave me my bill!  He did my small animal care too in most cases.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 06:34:44 AM »

Same here Julie...Arkansas was way cheaper than LA, and LA, is/was way cheaper until I finally found the Vet I have now, and I adore her, and my pocket book likes her even more.  Missouri was always pretty cheap on vet costs, but Missouri is a very low income state, so charging what they do in other states would send them packing to other states.

It's like my Dog training.  Clients ask me what I charge.  I tell them $150.00 for a 5 week session.  They ask me "is that 150.00 per class?" and I tell them, "No, for the entire 5 weeks".  They about flip when I tell them that.  Most dog trainers are $600.00 to $1200.00 for a 6 week session.  And group classes can run some where in that cost range depending on who you go to.  Unless it's Petco, Pet Smart, Pet Sense, or those other "Pet" stores.  They charge $250.00 for 6 weeks in a group class.  Then I get called to come and redo that dog.  haha.  Any way, Vets that are established and most have all their bills paid off, they tend to lean toward the oath they take..."Taking care of the pets and clients is more important than the money."  That's how I am with my dog training.  Too many dogs end up in shelters due to bad habits or parents not knowing right from wrong early on.  When a Vet has compassion for client/patient, and passion for what he/she does, then those charges seems to go way down.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »

I had the state vet and the state humane agent show up this morning, totally unannounced. They wanted to inspect everything. NOPE, they got the rabies certificates and told to come back later. When they come back on Tuesday they will not be allowed near the animals or in the barn, citing disease prevention protocol. My animals are healthy, care for, fat and shiny.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 12:43:52 PM »

Why would they want to inspect your animals?  The rabies positive animal was wild??  You have proof your dogs were recently vaccinated.  Why would they come out??
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 06:36:18 AM »

See I'm not understanding this procedure they are putting you through up there.  None of this makes sense to me.  Booster shots for animals already given Rabies...not one occasion but two!?  I did ask our Vet about that, and she told me what I already knew...if they have rabies shots current and up to date, they are only quarantined for 10 days.  No other shots required.  No lock down of property, no inspections, no booster shots...and now this surprise inspection...no, something isn't right here.

Is Maine in that bad of a Rabies outbreak that this is what protocol they are taking?  Because I'm telling you, this is the first state I've ever heard of doing something like this.   This is awful.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 06:23:24 PM »

45 days quarantine in Maine for a rabies positive contact. That I don't really care about since they don't leave my property much anyway.

The reason for the inspection is because I had told the state Vet that I had 60 goats, most being kids that are too young for the vaccination. They know very little about goats up here. Even the state vet was teaching stuff at the ACO certification training about goats that was not true. I'm sure they want my place inspected to prove my animals are horribly treated.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: