HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 12:00:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
wcm

Stats
2776 Posts in 163 Topics by 730 Members
Latest Member: 20goats
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Stork Talk (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  New Kids
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: New Kids  (Read 240 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: July 28, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »

I got a couple new kids. 1 week old today.  Mom aborted early on in her pregnancy and then was put in with Beau in Feb. Not much color, but they are  fat and happy.  This doe gives me the same color kids every year no matter what I breed her to ( 7 yrs now), but she also gives me big robust kids every year.  I will keep Gilley as it may be her last daughter and I don't have any of hers.

BILLY & GILLEY

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 06:48:07 AM »

OMG, they are just precious!!  Sometimes the plainest of babies can be the absolute most adorable.  And I think they are just perfect.  Congrats on the new arrivals.  And thanks for sharing this, I really, REALLY needed this.  It brightened my morning and my outlook.  Thank you.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:48:18 AM »

I am glad you liked them Smiley

They seem so little since the other kids are so much older, but then I pick them up and their bellies are so full and they are quite heavy.  Just seeing them run and jump all over lightens my heart too.  All my other kids do is eat!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 06:59:31 AM »

it's that freedom of bouncing hooves that just tickles me pink.  The twisting and turning, jumping and running, tumbling and stumbling...silly baby goats...there is nothing more hilarious.  Enjoy while it last. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »

There is something to be said for consistency! A doe who always produces nice kids no matter what she is bred to is a prize! Color is just frosting on the cake, and cake is good even without the frosting!

I have several does like that, I can always count on nice, big, correct triplets out of my 2 older does, twins, who produce huge kids who thrive and go on to be huge producers. They always come in 2 colors- lightcream/white or brown with black and white trim. LOL Ears are optional. Both dams have elf ears. When bred to either a Nubian or a Lamancha, their kids still come out with either elf or pendulous ears, the same % with either sire. LOL This is the last year for those 2 does, retirement awaits. I have a 2 yo FF from one and a dry yearling from the other. I kept a weanling for that one, also, as she is my favorite and that baby is so much like mom (Vicki) in looks and personality, that I had too! LOL

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »

I agree with you on color being the icing on the cake.  This doe has1 flaw in that she is over protective the first 48 hours.  I forgot that and kneeled down behind her to try and help a baby to latch on and she brought me down Angry

She only hit me once though so I guess she isn't all bad.  It was my fault as I knew that. She will also bite me in that period of time  Grin

After that she is all peaches and cream.  I have one other doe who is that way too, but none others in all my years of goats.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »

Julie that is a prize Doe...I do like a Doe who will fight to protect her babies at all costs.  Sorry that it was you though...those knocks they give us can really hurt.  But wow, what a good momma.  I have been bitten many times, especially by the Does with single babies when I am milking out the side that baby can't take all of until it's older.  My goodness they can take a chunk out of you.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »

I don't hold it against them.  I know they are just doing what they feel is right. I just try to stay away or do what I need to do quickly.  Usually my daughter will hold them so I can get my hands on everyone to check them out, but I was in a hurry that morning Smiley

I would rather have that over the type who just walk away from the kids with no maternal instincts whatsoever.  Thankfully I haven't had that happen but a few times with a FF.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 06:42:46 PM »

I have no problem with a protective doe, but I do have a problem with one who goes after me. I will discipline that doe if she bites or attacks me, kids or not. I am the supreme leader, and demand respect from them. They can protect from the other goats, horses, strangers etc, but not the Pyrenees and me.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »

Julie, I didn't mean to sound like I condemned you in my response.  I meant it as you have a wonderful goat momma.  Sorry if I made you feel badly.

Deb, I had an over protective LGD, that brought blood to my mother goat who just birthed her babies and fought the mother away from the babies.  That dog, if I had gotten ahold of her would have had a 2x4 used on her.  That momma was my prize Doe, and my LGD hurt her bad.  So NO, if my LGD does that crap, Momma has my permission to beat the crap out of that dog.  J-Belle was locked out and away from all the babies after that.  So she laid at the gates and fence lines and growled at every single momma with babies.  That doesn't happen at my house EVER!!

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:25:53 PM »

My LGD is awesome with the kids, doesn't bother them unless they come to her. She also guards the bottle kids and does a great job babysitting them. She cleans them up after they eat and keeps them away from the stairs that go to the 2nd floor when they are in the house. Even when they are grown up, if Nessa is near the former bottle does when they are tied to the picket line waiting to be milked, they will rub their noses in her fur and try to snuggle with her.

I wouldn't hurt my dog no matter what, she is way more precious to me than the goats are. I love my goats, but they are livestock. Dogs are family. Nessa is my barn assistant. I will not allow a goat to harm her in any way.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 06:52:06 AM »

Yes, I agree that J-Belle was over doing her job...Bonnie and Clyde and even Samson they do not hurt my momma's or my babies.  J-Belle never hurt a baby, she hurt the momma's and did it right after they birthed their babies.

I have to disagree with you Deb, no disrespect intended...I love my dogs with all my heart and soul...but I'm a farm girl born and raised, and it's bedded deep down in my soul, and those "livestock" animals pay the bills...pure and simple, they put food on our tables...we don't eat dogs...I know how you feel and I appreciate that, and I feel the same about my dogs...I would protect them with all that's in me, and I have MANY MANY TIMES...but you can't kill my income...and I'm sure you'd say the same thing if it was a human that took your pay check away...there's no difference in an animal or a human taking your income and food on your table.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 12:45:39 PM »

Julie, I didn't mean to sound like I condemned you in my response.  I meant it as you have a wonderful goat momma.  Sorry if I made you feel badly.

Deb, I had an over protective LGD, that brought blood to my mother goat who just birthed her babies and fought the mother away from the babies.  That dog, if I had gotten ahold of her would have had a 2x4 used on her.  That momma was my prize Doe, and my LGD hurt her bad.  So NO, if my LGD does that crap, Momma has my permission to beat the crap out of that dog.  J-Belle was locked out and away from all the babies after that.  So she laid at the gates and fence lines and growled at every single momma with babies.  That doesn't happen at my house EVER!!

I didn't think you were condemning me, don't worry Smiley

I don't keep dogs with my goats but my dogs do go in with our goats and everyone of them has been taught to respect the goats.  They lick and love on the babies but if any dog made a threatening move towards my goats I would let the momma take care of it.  My goats are too special to me to keep an aggressive dog.  I have seen what can happen when a family dog goes bad  Cry

Dragon--  I understand your reasoning exactly on aggressive does and if they were aggressive other than just that first day or 2( at most) I would do something.  They are no issue being in the pen or assisting them and I can live with that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: