HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:53:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44777 Posts in 3026 Topics by 811 Members
Latest Member: BJHARRIS
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Tiny bumps on 2 wk old nubian kids. What is this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Topic: Tiny bumps on 2 wk old nubian kids. What is this?  (Read 2583 times)
Stinkerbelle
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:51:06 AM »

I have 2 nubian kids just 2 weeks old.  I was sitting with them in my lap, and noticed that what felt like dirt or sand under their ears and in their ears.   Well, I didn't have my glasses on, and just thought it was dirt.  The next morning, with glasses on, I discovered that they both were covered with hundreds of tiny bumps all over their ears and down their necks.  Does not seem to be ear mites.   They don't seem to be itchy, or bothered by them.   I have 9 other goats and no one else has it.  I use DE weekly when I clean the stalls, do not have fleas or lice, no ants, no poision ivy. the bumps are miniscule, and have no heads or pustulas.  Does any one have an idea of what this may be? I rubbed some Vet Rx on it.  Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks,  Mary
pamcocoazoe
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:54:45 AM »

I could be hives...my friend has had an issue with her horses getting hives from bug bites and some of my dogs have had them.  I haven't noticed any on my goats. 
Stinkerbelle
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »

Don't think it's hives.  It feels gritty, like coarse sandpaper there are so many of them. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »

they're a fungus..looks like tiny warts...right?  they are contagious, they will spread, and to kill them you can use the tenactin athlete's foot cream, or spray (do not let the spray hit in their faces so I advise the cream), done twice daily and you'll get rid of those nasty things in no time. 

Try not to allow them around the others as these things spread quickly.

~ Birdie ~
Stinkerbelle
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »

No, they dont look like tiny warts.. like sand.  I put more Vet Rx on them.  It seems to sooth it.. My friend came and looked at it and in her 35 years of raising goats, she had never seen anything like it.  I just keep an eye on it.. it hasnt spread anymore.   
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:46:12 AM »

I tell ya, I'd use the tenactin.  We had a case of that here and before I knew it, every goat around that baby goat (we had it come up on bottle babies years ago) got it and eventually they broke open and bled..I took pictures of it, and posted in GW, many years ago and sure enough, I was told to use Tenactin (you can use a generic of that too) and it worked over night. 

~ Birdie ~
Stinkerbelle
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »

Thank you, Birdie.  I will be going to town this am. and will pick up some Tenactin for them..  Mary
Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »

My nubie kids had them. They get the large bumps on the ends of the ears from dragging the grass while grazing. Behind the ears are bug bits (chiggers more than likely), you'll find it along the neck line as well and sometimes underbellies or sides. I dusted them with sevin and it began clearing up.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »

Tea Tree Oil will also work.  Sounds like mites and bug bites to me.  Check their legs carefully down by the hoof and up a ways.  You may find some there also.
Stinkerbelle
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »

Birdie, I have been putting Tinactin on them 2x a day and so far, no change.  Dont think it is chiggers, they havent been out in the grass, just in their 12x12 stall and paddock.  No bumps anywhere else, just inside and outside their ears and down their necks and a little in back of their head.  It started getting thicker and crusty at their ear tips.  It doesnt seem to itch, but it does seem to be a little painful. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 07:55:55 PM »

then your next step would be the tea tree oil...it just almost has to be a fungus of some sort..if they are in a 12 x 12 stall, and not out where mosquito's and gnats and things can bite them..don't you think?

~ Birdie ~
jdgray716
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »

Birdie if it is chiggers or something like it would synergize sprayed on help? Not sure if that would help a fungus or not? A thought anyway...
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:53:16 AM »

you don't want that synergize that close to the face and eyes..that's why you only put that down the back line..you can spray with a sprayer on the legs and under belly, but I stay safe and just run a strip down the back line.

~ Birdie ~
jdgray716
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:58:12 AM »

Well I guess if you had gloves you could rub it on by hand but I see your point. Its helped with my guys quite a bit. I just wish there was a magic fly be gone wand to get rid of those suckers.
Kit
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »

the crusty on the eartips is from their ears draggning the ground and it does get sore. All my nubies get that, especially when we have wet weather, even loose the hair on their ears.

Right now all my nubies have those little crusty bumps on their ears, heads and necks from flies, gnats, and any other no seeums'. dusted 'em again yesterday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: