Severe worm infestation in goats..

<< < (6/19) > >>

dragonlair:
I heard from some "old timers" that they used to put copper pennies or pipe in the water troughs to supplement their animals for copper. Not sure if it really works or if they never really had a low copper level to begin with!

jdgray716:
GG yes it is...
"Natural Cures for Top-10 Goat Ailments"
from Natural Goat Care by Pat Coleby
 That is what I was reading.

Birdie I had the one feller who may have called you or not but he had two drop dead fron worms and then again I have heard about how another guy gets so worried because he has had the same thing in his herd. Those two are here in the area. As for adding copper to the food that was an idea I though up. In the site she simply states

"Using Copper Sulfate as a Vermifuge

Dr. William A. Albrecht, a highly qualified and much respected soil scientist who studied in the United States, but lectured all over the world (including Australia), did much research with minerals and plants and animals. His work on copper is of particular interest. He found that the Bordeaux mixture we used so successfully on our orchard trees (made up of lime and copper sulfate) did not actually kill the fungus by contact as was supposed. The tree absorbed the copper, and fungus will not stay on a plant with adequate copper in its tissues. Similarly, he found that when animals which had been given copper sulfate recovered from worms, the copper did not actually kill the worms, rather the copper was absorbed by the animal and no worms of any kind would stay in or suck blood from an animal that has plenty of copper in its tissues. I and others had experimented along these lines for 10 years with horses, cattle, sheep and goats, with 100 percent success.

Initially I tried a maintenance dose with the goats which I kept up for nine months, but it was so high that it seemed unrealistic. At that rate (a small teaspoon of copper sulfate per head per day), each goat was receiving the equivalent of nearly a two pounds of copper sulfate per year, so I cut the amount to half. After that I did occasionally have to give extra copper. During that nine months, the goats were mated and kidded without having to be wormed as usual. Additionally, the first kidders did not get the almost mandatory dose of cowpox, there were no foot problems in spite of the fact that it was an abnormally wet winter, and they never looked better. Ninety-five percent of them were British Alpines, the other five percent were either Saanens or all blacks, but they all received the same dose of copper sulfate per head daily, run through their feed. The farm was also low in copper."

Hope that sheds more light on it she goes into more detail and so forth, I guess I could past the whole thing if you like?

Sally P:
Unless these people have a necropsy done on these goats that are dying, it's pretty hard to say that they dropped dead from heavy worm load.  It could be any number of other things also.

Kit:
gotta agree with Sally on this one as it's a very touchy subject with me right now.

imalilbirdie:
John they never called me.

I know that if a goat gets really ill from something else the worm infestation can be a secondary illness from the original illness..the immune system becomes so weakened that the worms take over and where they were able in a healthy state to fight off the affects, in a weakened state they wouldn't be able to. 

Now if that's the case for everyone having worm problems..I don't know.  I totally agree with Sally..unless you run the necropsy, then there is absolutely no way to tell what the goat died from.  This is where I kick myself for not having it done to Socks when she passed on..I should have been thinking clearly enough to remember that..but all I was thinking about was her death..and burying her where after we sell the farm she wouldn't be disturbed..so yep that was pretty stupid on my part.  Sock's death..really shocked me, and devistated me, and I didn't think clearly for several days after it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page