Covexin 8

(1/2) > >>

chocchip:
Well, I am getting my girls ready for the breeding season and need to vaccinate them.  While looking through the Jeffers catalogue for supplies I noticed the Covexin 8 vaccine.   I was just going to get CD/T, but the Covexin 8 covers more and still included tetanus.  Does anyone have any pros or cons to offer me on this product?

dragonlair:
Sorry never used it. When I vaccinate I only do T.

Sandie:
when i just had goats i used cdt for them, when i got the sheep my vet recomened that i use the covexin 8 for them and said it would be fine for the goats and llamas . i have only used it for a couple of years but have not had any adverse reactions to it other than a couple of vacine knots , about the same as what i saw with the cdt . the only pro i know is that it covers more of the diseases, the only con i know of is that it costs more than just the cdt.

dragonlair:
What diseases does it cover?

Sandie:
here is a copy of the label.

Covexin® 8 Vaccine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schering-Plough

Clostridium Chauvoei, Septicum Haemolyticum, Novyi, Tetani, Perfringens Types C & D Bacterin-Toxoid
Indications
For the vaccination of healthy cattle and sheep against diseases caused by Clostridium chauvoei, Cl. septicum, Cl. novyi Type B, Cl. haemolyticum (known elsewhere as Cl. novyi Type D), Cl. tetani and Cl. perfringens Types C and D.

Although Clostridium perfringens Type B is not considered a significant problem in the U.S.A., immunity may be provided against the beta and epsilon toxins elaborated by Cl. perfringens Type B. The immunity is derived from the combination of Type C (beta) and Type D (epsilon) fractions.

Administration and Dosage
Shake well. Using aseptic technique

Cattle dosage: Inject 5 ml subcutaneously or intramuscularly, repeated in 6 weeks. Revaccinate annually with 5 ml prior to periods of extreme risk or parturition. For animals subject to reexposure to Cl. novyi Type B and Cl. haemolyticum repeat the dose every 5 to 6 months. For Cl. perfringens Types B, C and D, revaccinate two weeks prior to parturition, introduction to lush pastures or finishing programs. Calves vaccinated under 3 months of age should be revaccinated at weaning or 4 to 6 months of age.

Sheep dosage: Inject 5 ml subcutaneously followed by a 2 ml dose in 6 weeks. Revaccinate annually with 2 ml prior to periods of extreme risk or parturition. For Cl. novyi and Cl. haemolyticum, revaccinate every 5 to 6 months. Vaccination should be scheduled so that pregnant ewes receive their second vaccination or annual booster 2 to 6 weeks before lambing commences in the flock. Lambs should be given their primary course beginning at 10 to 12 weeks of age.

Precaution
This product has been tested under laboratory conditions and shown to meet all Federal standards for safety and efficacy. This level of performance may be affected by conditions of use such as stress, weather, nutrition, disease, parasitism, other treatments, individual idiosyncrasies or impaired immunological competency. These factors should be considered by the user when evaluating product performance or freedom from reactions.

Local reactions may be observed following subcutaneous administration to cattle.

Caution
Store at 35°-45°F (2°-7°C). Protect from freezing. Use entire contents when first opened. Do not vaccinate within 21 days before slaughter. Anaphylactic reactions may occur following use.

Antidote: Epinephrine.

Schering-Plough Animal Health Corporation
1095 Morris Ave., Union, NJ, 07083
1-800-521-5767
www.sp-animalhealth.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page