HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Tips on showing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Topic: Tips on showing.  (Read 16697 times)
Shelly
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »

We use dog choke chain with a quick link to hold the ends together. You can get quick links at hardware store or even walmart. Heres a picture http://www.safelandindustrial.com/app/stx.products.asp?cid=21
Shelly
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 03:37:05 PM »

That's what we use all the time.
Crissa
Goat Genius

Love me, love my Nubians. (non-negotiable)

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »

Thank you! I'll have to get one of those quick links since I'm getting my show doe on Spring Break!  Wink

TwiliteMeadows
Registered and Grade Nubians
fcnubian
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 09:30:57 PM »

Not sure if this has already been posted.

Always be aware of where the judge is, and always pay attention if he or she is close to you incase he/she asks questions. Last year I was asked when hannah freshened and with how many.
If you cant remember number of freshenings, when they freshen ect ect there are tag like things that can go on the collar you can write on.

The first time Georgia was shown she was a pain in the rear. She didn't know to walk nicely or to set up. It was a spur of the moment decision. Lol

I'll share some photos of me showing.
This is Delilah being shown as a dry yearling.

In the middle.

3rd one.

Hannah, 2yr old 2nd freshening.

3rd from the left.

Relax and have fun. And practice at home. During show season I usually get the girls out every few days and set them up once or twice walk them and put them back.

I also always trim hooves the day we leave for the show. We usually go to the show the day before and sleep there instead of rushing the next morning since the shows are usually over an hour away. Trimming hooves the day before is just one less thing to do on show day.
I also shave the udder the day before.
I also use the dog choker chains.
Also have your does use to having their udders messed with. The judges usually feel the udders and teats.

Oh and a big one. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you have all the registration papers.

Oh and make sure you know the show order...and if you have does going in to classes one right after another, have a helper who can hold the goats, or a chain to tie them and have them waiting at the ring.

If I think of any more tips I'll add them.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »

Amy---you need to punch that doe down---do you know how to do that?  And never ever stand in the ring with you free hand touching the goat unless you are setting the goat up.  That hand goes at your side or behind you.  Equally important to setting the goat up correctly is the handler standing correctly.  If the handler stands looking around, kind of slopy in the way they are standing -- then that reflects on the way the goat looks.  A good example is the lady ahead of you.  In the second picture she is looking totally away from where the judge is. 
A tip on controlling the dow when the judge is checking the udder/teats:  Put your leg in front of the goat with your knee resting agains the goat's chest.  That gives you a little control and helps stop the goat from moving.  The second the judge is done checking teats--then move your leg back to where it should be.
fcnubian
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 07:05:25 PM »

Which picture? I always put their back down when the judge is looking at them or moving closer and will be looking at them next. Or if he/she has everyone lined up and standing back and looking at all of them. I dont make the girls keep their back down if the judge is inspecting the udder and teats of the other does.

And never ever stand in the ring with you free hand touching the goat unless you are setting the goat up.

I dont, if you are refering to me, which picture do you see that? I was either setting them up or putting their back down in the pictures above. Only one I could see something that looked like that is Hannah, 4th pic. She kept moving so I placed my hand on her to keep her still while I looked at her back feet/udder to see if something was causing her to want to move or if she was just being a brat.

Thanks for the tip when the judge feels the udder and teats.

I like showing. And gonna miss it this year. I have 3 does, and only one of them can be shown because the other two are going to be dry and one is a 2yr old and the other is a 3yr old. The other is a yearling. And since they didn't get bred, I wont have any kids to show either.
With the rising price of gas, I just can't take only one doe to a show, especially when they are over an hour away and unfortunately they all are.  Cry
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

Well Amy---don't ever take for granted that the judge won't notice if your goat isn't set up properly--and that includes being punched down.  Just because the judge may not be at your goat, doesn't mean they don't notice what else is going on.  If you have them keep a good show stance all the time they are standing in the ring, then they will get used to it and will stay there when you do set them.
Maybe whomever was taking the pictures happened to take each photo at just the wrong time---however---you were touching the goat each and every time. 
Muddy Creek Farm
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »

I like this thread.  Another tip is SMILE!!!  And don't stare at the judge (if you know what I mean lol) too much. 

As for clipping I have about 4-5 blades of each length that I use.  Simply to keep them cool and if I need to send one or two in for sharpening I always have enought at home (plus I got a great deal on clipper blades....)
And don't be nervous, goat shows are FUN!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »

Another thing to make sure of is the tattoo. Make sure its still able to be read. The first year we had a Boer show up here I only had the 1...my baby buck. The breeder called like 2 days before the show to beg me to show him so we would have enough entries to make it look impressive to the show committee at the fair. Since I had checked the tatt after I got him (he had just been done and I was making sure it healed) I didn't bother checking it again. Bad move.

My guy was up for Grand Champion buck. He had been chosen Junior champ. When they went to check the tatt...it was gone! Nothing!!!!! Of course, no placing because of it.

What I learned?

Never use white ink (the breeder was new to goats)
Always remember to check the tatts

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
tenngoatgma
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »

I dont plan on showing goats, but I would like to have certain ones that will lead. What age and how do you teach them?
Muddy Creek Farm
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »

Yep.  NEVER use white ink.  I learned that one too..  When the weather clears up I will check everyones tattoos again.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »

Great point about tattoos! Cleaning ears  few weeks before a show I checked one of our does ...her tat and her sisters tat was different on paper than in the ear...by one digit..the sister was deceased (I had owned her as well) so it was easy so get new papers.
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »

what do you use on goats with dark ears?
the lady that just disbudded my babies said something about their ears being dark
what should i do
i don't want my kids to go to fair planning to show then not be able to because the tat is gone Embarrassed
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »

You use the same green ink on dark ears that you do on light ears.  Judges can read the tattoos by holding a flashlight on the outside of the ear and letting the beam shine thru the ear.  We never use anything but green ink.
Vasoline rubbed into the tattoo after you have rubbed the ink in, helps set that ink. 
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 10:52:51 AM »

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/4h/projects/AdditionalResources/Goat/The%20First%20Step%20Toward%20the%20Ring.pdf

i hope that link works
it's a site i found, or was given to me, don't remember, about how to train a goat to lead
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: