HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 11:48:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Tips on showing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Topic: Tips on showing.  (Read 16623 times)
tenngoatgma
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »

Thank you Heavenlyhaven.....That web site is very informative.
Kit
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »

I've never had the privilage of showing any of my goats, but do have a question on clipping....do ya'll sculpt the face area to highlight? or just clip it? With our horses we'd sculpt the facial highlights (without clipping off the eyelashes), so just curious.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »

Just clip the face.  And we do leave the eylashes.  Most breeders don't. 
Muddy Creek Farm
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 09:33:39 PM »

I leave the eyelashes as well. But you clip the rest of their face and every other hair on their bodies except the tip of their tail.
Kit
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »

Now see, I wouldn't be able to control myself, I'd have to flip the clippers over adn sculpt into a beautifully highlighted face.  Grin
Muddy Creek Farm
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »

Does anyone think she has groomed too many horses?  Roll Eyes LOL
goat fever
Goat Genius

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »

Mybe one too many horses for Kit. 

Proudly owned by herd of little angels.  I raise fainting goats and mini silky fainting goats.
PeaceGoats
Caprine Guru

Western Massachusetts

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2008, 09:32:44 PM »

Too many horses?

No such thing!!!

Grin

Emily (the person) Pace, Shanti, and Melino (the goats)
Kit
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »

Who said too many? I actually thought maybe I could sell my useful services for goat showin! LOL I clip 'em, you show 'em...  Grin Wink Figure it'd take no time to do a goat compared to a horse.... Roll Eyes
Muddy Creek Farm
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »

I can only imagine clipping a horse!  ???
Kit
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »

A goat would be a breeze! Especially after having to body clip 3-6 month old foals for the showring. That's a jump and clip session all in itself, so figure goats would be abotu the same.

Watch out my girls, I think I'm gonna try clippin ya'll when the weather warms up.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »

A milk stand and a dish of grain helps immensely with the "jumping" when clipping!!
Kit
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »

Milk stand, grain, horse.  ???  Grin Wink I could see that!  Grin Thanks for the Idea Sally! dont' think hubby will appreciate it when I inform him he has to build a foal size milk stand (tried just the grain before, never worked, maybe the milkstand is what I missed?  Wink )

JUST KIDDIN YA! but the mental image is funny you have to admit.
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »

my milk stand is metal
it has a railing on one side and bars going down to the platform every few inches
the other side is almost the same but there are 4 bars missing that give me enough room to milk
does that make sense?
anyway
there is no way i could do a proper clip on the stand
i wouldn't be able to reach everywhere
so what should i do
GotmygoatMTJ
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »

A clipping tip, which we have learned from others.  If our goat is very steep hipped, you leave all or most of the hair there to make it seem less steep.  Of course it wouldnt fool a judge, but it helps in a visual inspection from the judge.

Usually the first thing a judge looks at is the front.  Im about to simulate a judge

"Oh that doe has a nice front, walks wide and has big bones, uh oh, steep hipped, yepp she aint gonna be first, but look at that butt!  Shes definitly at the top, but not in my first place!"

We have a doe.  Shes huge, powerful, long, but she has a slight steep hip.  In a USBGA show she got a 3rd out of 4.  The judge said if her hip was better, she would have gone better. But otherwise a beautiful doe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: