HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Tips on showing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Topic: Tips on showing.  (Read 16696 times)
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

I don't know that I would leave a lot of hair in a place that had a slight defect.  With a steep rump--you can usually set them up to hide that; however the majority of judging is done while the animal is on the move. 
When you set her up, after you get her punched down, then reach under her belly and tickle her a little.  It will make her pull her tummy and rump up while maintaining that set you just put her in.
GotmygoatMTJ
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 10:03:16 PM »

True yes, but to help cover it a little more it would be wise to keep some hair there instead of shaving it all down.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 08:52:12 AM »

No good judge is going to be fooled by leaving some hair on a fault spot.  If anything, it will just look like a really bad clipping job and a lot of judges would instantly realize that you were hiding something.
GotmygoatMTJ
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2009, 11:52:14 PM »

OK BUT.  I show too.  When we went to Cullman Alabama there was a doe that got second place.  We went over and congradulated her and she told us about the steep hip and what she did.  Now I am just expressing my opinions about the subject.  Who cares if the judge feels it, but it would look good walking now wouldnt it.  I dont mean to be nasty with you or anything but there is a syndrome for this. Know It All Syndrome.

I do value your opinions on everything, but when you say things they just come out in a nasty way!

If this gets me kicked off of here, Im sorry, but theres only so much I can take before I crack. Cry
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »

If I don't sugar-coat my answers--well that's just me.  Why you would think that I said anything bad, I just don't know.  We do a lot of showing---about 15 shows per year with about 30 goats average in each show.  So I do know a lot of judges and know what they are looking for.
While you may think that clipping is going to hide a potential fault, if you show long enough, you will discover that setting your goat up is much more important than the clipping.  Setting up is when you learn little tricks to "hide" problems--and there are a lot of little tricks.  I can tell you a lot of little tricks to showing, but the problem is that they are very hard to describe.  What you really want to do is go to as many shows as possible -- preferably shows that have breeders who show a lot and have for several years.  Just watch them and you will pick up many little tricks of the trade!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2009, 10:37:08 AM »

Just because the judge placed that doe second doesn't mean he/she missed the fault. They judge the over all animal. She may have been ideal in other areas and her over all body type was much better than all the rest except the winner. Various faults are given different levels of seriousness. Some faults are minor, some way more serious. Its the judges job to weigh each fault against the over all picture of the "perfect" goat for that age, sex and breed, and then to compare each goat against the others in the ring. And to further confuse the issue, judges are given a certain amount of discretion as to what faults they can let slide and what their interpretation of the ideal goat actually is! A judge is not going to be fooled by creative clipping, they've been there done that and probably know more showing tricks that the people in the ring.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »

Right on, Dragon!!!
Dawn
Goataholic

Deposit, NY

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »

does anyone have a favorite brand clipper they use or even one that they had that they don't like for one reason or another. Also what size blades are best to get?

John & Dawn
JADA Hill Farm
Deposit,NY

http://www.jadahillfarm.com
http://www.jadahillfarm.blogspot.com
 also on Facebook- "Become a Fan"  Jada Hill Farm, LLC.
rsw
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »

Hi...
Since this thread has not been visited recently I was hoping to get it going again, since spring and show season are around the corner...

SandyP...I noticed you referenced punching down the does back in several spots...I assume it's to help level the topline...is it the same that they do for sheep when showing???

Please explain, if you wouldn't mind, how this is done, and how to know if you are doing it correctly, etc...
My daughter will be showing some yearlings this year that she is going to be starting from scratch on as well as her senior doe that has been shown previously, just not by her.

Thanks!

The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which bridge to burn
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »

Watch the other show people.  You will notice that they are running two finger down the goat's spine.  At some point on the spine, the doe (or buck) will lower it's back and then look very level and straight.  Just don't keep you hand on the goat's back when you are done.  Punch the doe down after you set the legs.  It doesn't have to be hard---just that little gentle 'jab' will make a doe go down after she has done it a few times.  Each goat has a slightly different spot that works so you will not have to run you fingers down the spine each time you set them up.  After a while you will learn where that spot is.
goatgirl132
Bottle Babies

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »

I kind of wanna state something.
When your in that showring and your goat jumps, rears, or just flat out says NO and tucks his legs under him and layes down. And everyone in the stands are laughing. Laugh with them. Their not laughing at you their laughing at the fact that they ALL have had that hapoen to them. Rather it was at home or in the ring. But all those peple that have showed in the past in that stand are lauging because they have all have had it happen to them. So smile keep calm and just go with the flow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: