HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 09:08:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
22645 Posts in 1644 Topics by 827 Members
Latest Member: amulam
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Meat Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Buck in Rut
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Topic: Buck in Rut  (Read 3629 times)
tenngoatgma
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:18:25 PM »

My big buck Clyde has been bad with me for quite a while now. He just loves to intimidate me every chance he gets. I am scared of him and have been for a while. I've been layed up with my broken ankle for 3 weeks now and DH has been doing all the feeding and everything.  He use to laugh at me for being scared until he has been doing all the chores. Now Clyde is being very aggressive with DH. He has charged him a couple times and chased him the other day. We dont want to sell him for fear he will hurt someone bad. DH says he does it again he is gonna shoot him. He doesnt just act this way when in rut , he does it all the time.  My FIL said we wouldnt be able to butcher him cause he wouldnt taste good being in rut. Does anyone know about this?
Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:41 PM »

turn 'em into pepper sticks.
Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »

Is there a way to separate him for a while? And let him get some of the smell calmed down?? I havent butchered one like that but I would think it wouldnt be much different then a buck deer in rut...
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:53:28 AM »

Rhona..YOU DON'T KEEP THAT BUCK!!  Remember Timmy..my boer buck who turned rank on me?  Remember what he did to Tadpole when he couldn't hurt me anymore?  Remember what he did to our fences and our gates?  YOU CAN'T CHANGE A BUCK LIKE THAT..You sell him for slaughter and at least get something back out of him.  I was going to shoot Timmy too..except, a bullet wasn't good enough for him.  We loaded him in the trailer and took him to the auction where I stayed and told everyone..THAT BUCK GOES FOR SLAUGHTER.  He did sell for slaughter. 

Rhona, if Timmy could have, he would have killed me..and yes, he hurt me many times, and I tried for a solid year to change his attitude, and it cost me a 195.00 gate, a strip of very expensive no climb horse fencing, two strands of hot wire fence (on both sides of the fence), 2 goat panels, a hot wire fencer, an ER trip on me for a hyper extended knee, and a vet bill on Tadpole. 

Once they sense the fear, it's done..they will do what they can, when they can to hurt you.  I used a cattle prod on Timmy any time I had to go out there with him.  Squirt bottles of water/ and ACV water didn't do a lick of good on that buck..didn't bother him at all.

I swore I would NEVER have another rank boer buck.  I wouldn't take the time to slaughter him for my table..he would be loaded up and gone off my farm for good.

~ Birdie ~
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 07:06:10 AM »

TGT first I need to ask how old this buck is? Pam is right about her buck. However I have Timmy's son who showed the same tendancy. First thing I tought him the word "NO" not "no" but "NO" yelling very sternly at him. I tought him this by whacking him sternly on the ham part of his back leg "AFTER" saying the word no. He got the message that if he did not comply he would get whacked in a tender spot. The next thing we tought him was that we are top dog. Al did this by grabbing his horns and litterly throwing him to the ground and then we both layed on him and talked calmly to him till he gave in and relaxed, then and only then did we let him up.

Now all of this is to say that even though Avy now respects us, in no way will I turn my back on him and when I go in alone I have the whacking stick in my hand. Also we raised Avy and when he showed the first bit of agression we corrected it right then and there.

If you did not raise this buck get rid of him, if he is too old to train, get rid of him. Pam did not raise Timmy and he most likely had those bad habits when she got him, I am positive had she raised him he would be different. Then again some bucks are just worth a shot to the back of the head.

JMHO
Nancy

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 07:34:49 AM »

Rhona, RTS (Nancy) is right..I did sell to her Avy and Thor both Son's of Timmy.  I wrote her and told her if they showed these signs of aggression/domination to sell them or put them down.  I didn't raise Timmy..I bought Timmy at 15 months old.  Actually I didn't want Timmy..I wanted his brother, but his brother sold before we got there.  My hubby decided to buy Timmy anyway.  We noticed that Timmy's horn ends had been docked off..asked why that was..the owner told us, he had taken to tossing his head sideways when they went to feed him and hooking them with his horns, so they dubbed them off to prevent accidental injury.  Timmy was very well behaved when we were there..Timmy led to the trailer and loaded like a champ..and Timmy was fine for the first year we owned him and fine when we put the "wild" does in with him, but when we pulled them and put the "tame" girls in with him, he turned on us instantly.  He would come up on us from behind, and ram us to the ground..especially me..he put me on the ground at almost every feeding time..even though I fed him first, he would leave his dish of food to charge in after the girls food..hitting me instead of the girls..when I got my fill of that, I built a pen to put him in durning feeding time..that worked until his feed was gone and then he rammed the goat panels until her tore them to shreds like a newspaper.  I noticed with him that he didn't want the girls up by us, he wanted to be between the girls and us, making sure we knew that the girls belonged to him.  Well my girls won't allow that, and made their way around him and to us, and he couldn't keep them all back at the same time.  He got even more aggressive then.  So, we pulled those girls and didn't put anyone back with him, no companion, no anything..he was far too mean.  Then he took to fighting across the fences..Tadpole made it through the fence one day and they were fighting when I found them..Timmy had Tadpole on the ground beating the dickens out of him.  I couldn't pull Timmy off to save my soul..so I went and got the cattle prod and shocked Timmy with it until he ran off..I picked Tadpole up (now this is a yearling buck who weighed a lot), and finally got him through the cross gate, and over 4 strands of hotwire (which Tadpole didn't know the hotwire was shut off and he wasn't crossing it to save his soul)..when I checked Tadpole out..he was hurting badly in his hip area..he hurt bad for 3 days before he finally got up and tried to walk.  Time went on, and we put an even hotter fencer on the hotwire and Timmy got madder than the dickens..it's like he lost his flippin' mind..he pounded the gates that didn't have hotwire in front of them..absolutely ruined them..he got to the point that the fencer didn't bother him..he figured out how to take his horn and raise that hotwire up and ground out the fencer (plugged into a ground default plugin), and do his damage anyway through the fence. 

That Buck was given every chance in the world to calm down, settle down, but no he wanted to fight anyway.  When he finally broke through the cross fence, he had already broken Tadpoles horn off, Tad was in quarantine in the barn, and I moved Prince into the bottle calf pen..Timmy made it into Tad and Princes pen, and began to pound the dickens out of the goat panels that we had cross fenced for the bottle calf pen to get into Prince and hurt him.  When we found Timmy in there..he was blood from head to toe..his forehead was cut open, his horn base was bleeding, he had cuts and scrapes up and down his body..yet we couldn't get to him, to help him..he wanted to fight, and if we got 20 feet of him he charged us.  It took us 2 hours to get him back into his lot (about a 1/2 to 3/4 acre lot), and tried once again to get up to him to doctor his wounds..and he would only fight..so I told my hubby, "that it, let him bleed to death, I don't care!"  I walked away..NOW, I never walk away from an injured animal..that's not who I am..but this guy was going to kill us if we tried..so we let his wounds heal best they could and in 3 days, loaded him up and hauled him off to the sale barn. 

We've since found out this bloodline Timmy had, was known to be fighters, known to be aggressive..so now BoCephus is out of the "docile" bloodline, Riles and BoHowdy bloodlines..and that's what we went looking for, a docile, more manageable buck..and we bought only bucks who had been handled a great deal by humans.

It's all in how you raise your bucks..I do believe that firmly.  BoCephus is handled and messed with daily..even if it's a pat on the head and told good boy..or I go out with a treat, or something he likes.  Yesterday, I wormed him, grabbed his beard, and popped it in his mouth..at supper time last night I went in to feed him and he took 5 steps backwards away from me..that's respect..he figured "oh boy, my master has nasty stuff for me."  He had fear in him I would do it again, when they fear you just a tad, then you have a respect.  I don't hit them, or do anything like that..but I do demand respect from my bucks.

Roady (our Kiko buck), he's never, not once, at any time ever offered to even "buck" up at me..I hand feed him, I pet him while he's eating, I walk past him with the feed bucket and not once has he ever tried anything in a way of hurting me.

I do not want to see you or your hubby hurt by your buck.  They are far stronger than we are.

~ Birdie ~
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:54:18 AM »

We do think that Avy got some sence of order from his mom's side of the faimly, he learns very well and pays attention when we tell him NO. Like this am at feeding time he butted the gate one time when I was taking picks for Pam and when I told him NO I sware he looked like a puppy when you scold him.

tenngoatgma
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »

We bought Clyde when he was 7mo. old. He was never real friendly but he is downright mean now at 2 1/2 yrs. We cant keep him pinned up, he has torn down gates, panels , fencing, posts. We use to keep feed in a metal shed and he found out it was there and tore the doors off of it. We now have an old freezer we keep it in. He is just downright mean. The auction is about an hour and half away, not worth taking just him. DH and his friend are gonna butcher him. Do think with him being in rut it would taste bad? I have eaten a deer killed while in rut, and that didnt taste funny. I will probably just grind it all. What do you all think?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »

I can't tell you Rhona how it will taste..if it's like processing a buck deer you have to be very careful with the urine glands/sack, to make sure you don't taint the meat with that..but I don't have clue what the meat on an older goat would taste like.

I'm glad you've made a decision on him, since a boy like that can and will hurt you badly.

I hope you're staying away from him, and not risking your ankle getting injured worse.

~ Birdie ~
tenngoatgma
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »

I havent been near him, I cant walk on my foot yet. I have only been out to go for a check up. Maybe next week he will let me start puttinga little weight on it. It is still very swollen and painful and DS and DH are doing everything around here. I wish my girls were around to clean, these guys try but its not the same as a woman doing it. I have had 5 babies born and DH takes pics for me to see. I have a wheel chair, but our land is so rocky and uneven I cant get out in it.
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 03:46:17 AM »

TGM, I am sorry about your buck but it is probably for the best. If they are used to butchering deer I am sure they will do a good job. Ground goat has a lot of uses. Soups, stews, bucky burgers, meatloaf, spaghetti, stuffed peppers, dang here it is 4:45 in the morning and I am wide awake and hungry.

How far are you from Crossville? I go up there on occasion to shop at Vanity Fair and Frenches. Just was up there this past weekend. Got me a new pair of Justins.
Nancy

tenngoatgma
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »

TGM, I am sorry about your buck but it is probably for the best. If they are used to butchering deer I am sure they will do a good job. Ground goat has a lot of uses. Soups, stews, bucky burgers, meatloaf, spaghetti, stuffed peppers, dang here it is 4:45 in the morning and I am wide awake and hungry.

How far are you from Crossville? I go up there on occasion to shop at Vanity Fair and Frenches. Just was up there this past weekend. Got me a new pair of Justins.
Nancy

Nancy, Yes they are use to cleaning deer.  I think Crossvile is a good ways from me. I am about 45 min. SW of Clarksville.
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 09:02:36 AM »

OK, for some reason or other I had you up on the plateau.

Kit
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

If the meat tastes too bucky, spice it up and make jerky. Wink Usually cures strong buck deer taste. I just turn it into jerky and gobble it up. Grin
Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »

If its really bad use it for dog food raw meat is good for them and helps with the feed bill....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: