HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Items to have on hand during kidding season.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Topic: Items to have on hand during kidding season.  (Read 16378 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: January 31, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »

Here are a few things you'll want to keep on hand during kidding season:

Nutri Drench
Vit E gel w/ selenium
Molasses (mixed with warm water for the Doe, all she wants)
Iodine
clean towels/blankets
surgical gloves
Ky jelly (or other lubricants..i.e. veggie oil)
Ivory Soap
White wash clothes
Infant nasal suction devise (forgot the real name for them)
Nipples (pritchard, lamb, or the ones you get at TSC that are a whitish clear color comes in a pkg of 3)
Empty Cleaned out Pop Bottles
Freeze dried Colostrum for kids (found at Jeffers livestock)
Electrolytes (gatorade, pedialyte, livestock electrolytes)
Baby Aspirin
Dental Floss (for tieing umbilical cords)
Bucket of hot water (when needed for scrubbing hands/does)
Hay and Grain (for the doe after kidding)
Penicillin antibiotic (in case you have to go in and assist the doe's delivery)
6 cc syringes
20 or 22 gauge needles

These are just basic's to have on hand.  Not all these things will be needed, however, it's best to have them on hand if they are needed.  The best Kidding year happens when we're prepared for whatever we're faced with. 

Good Luck and good kidding to all of you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:20:32 PM by imalilbirdie » Logged

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:50:29 PM »

I'm going to add or amend a couple of things to this list.

Human baby bottles are much easier to use than soda bottles and nipples.  Just make the holes in the nipple a little larger.
Coffee---for you.  Very important!!!

I just want to note:  we have a lot of babies born each year here.  I seldom go to the barn with all things on the list.  I keep a spray bottle of iodine in the barn and a few old towels.  Other than that--I don't take anything out with me.  So just know where things are when you start kidding season.  Seldom will you need them.
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »

I'm with Sally on the baby bottles!  I struggled for too many years with those nipples that go on the soda/pop bottles and couldn't always get them on right so they didn't leak.  Last year when Blaze had her quads and I ended up bottle supplementing two of them I bought an 8 oz. and 16 oz. Playtex nurser with regular nipples and the generic bottle liners.  I quickly decided the 16 oz. bottle is the one to use because you can put a small amount into it to start and not have to buy a different bottle when the kids quickly graduate to drinking larger amounts.

I also like the Playtex nurser bottle because with those liners you can squeeze all the air out and make sure that your kids don't suck down air when they finish the milk.  You also don't have to hold the bottle perfectly upside down to get the milk to come out when you've got a kid that doesn't want to nurse from it.  And the liners make clean-up really easy.

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
jdgray716
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 07:41:49 AM »

I think its a matter of preference. Either that or Birdie has different nipples or something because the ones I saw took for EVER to get off. lol Or you could do what I plan have some of each. LOL  Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »

I tried Pam B's platex nurser on a doeling I have out here, and she refused it as well.  I've had many goats refuse baby bottles, and I've had them refuse a bottle of any kind..I have all the nipples here..baby bottle, pritchard (which I think are worthless to some degree), black lamb nipples, and these clear nipples I get at TSC..here's the link to those nipples if you're wondering what they are..
http://www.tractorsupplyco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34665_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

These nipples do not pull off the bottles no matter how hard they nurse on them.  I've used these on babies up to 6 months of age and never had a single problem.  But as John mentioned, I do believe it's preference, as well as which one will my baby take?

~ Birdie ~
Legend Hills
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »

Can I add: Chamomile tea

It helps keeps you calm. Grin
debpnigerians
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »

I like to go to garage sales and second-hand stores and buy old towels, sweat/tee shirts, blankets etc super cheap, then cut them up to use as kidding rags. That way I can just toss them in the garbage instead of worrying about washing them. Just don't use any of the new 'microfiber' cloth they're making washcloths out of now.....it's been my experiance that they're about as absorbent as a rock and attract burs, stickers and woodchips like crazy!
Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »

My MIL works at a local crisis center and gets bags of old t-shirts and they make Great rags!!! I don't like the micro stuff either its suppose to be super absorbant but I cant figure out what its suppose to absorb!?!
debpnigerians
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 11:39:35 PM »

Our money! Wink
jen
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »

he "infant nasal suction thing" is a bulb syringe. Or a "nose snucker" as my kids call it Grin
Kayla223
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »

GOOD LIST!
Young LaMancha Breeder
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing Ya'll. I think I have everything on hand, but the list is still very useful. Smiley
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 06:07:08 PM »

Two kidding seasons ago I bought one of those big clear plastic Sterlite containers to store all my kidding stuff in.  I have found that I can haul it right out to the goat pens when I've got a doe in labor and then all my stuff is right there.  No more running back up to the house to get something that I didn't think to bring with me.  Because it is plastic it is safe from the elements and the snap-down lid is impossible for the other goats to get open (or it has been so far anyway).

The one caveat I have about the big box, though, is don't put your water bottle in there along with your celphone.  I am here to testify that water bottles leak, and celphones don't get along well with water!  I took the celphone out with me so I could call my husband in case I had trouble that I couldn't handle on my own with a delivery.  It was the last time the celphone ever worked.  Embarrassed

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »

I use a small tool box with my medication stuff in it, and a regular plastic bag for towels and paper towels.  In that plastic bag with the towels is another plastic bag to put the afterbirth in, so I can bury it or burn it after the mom passes it.  I have my Cell phone in the tool box, and I usually don't have time to drink anything..and if I did I'd be sharing it with the others and wouldn't get much of it anyway..lol.

~ Birdie ~
Susanne
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 08:02:36 AM »

till now, all i have needed at kidding times are lots of towels. Smiley
baby pen in the house for the first hours or days if it is cold heat treated frozen colostrum, (speeds up the time where kids get something in their tummy  Wink ) and iodine for dipping the navel. 
i use pop bottles and have no problems with them.
i don't feed molasses in their feed nor do i offer molasses water. i like to give does vit b complex after kidding. for the first couple of days i keep an eye on their temperature, that is all i do.  so far, it worked for me Wink
if i have have to re arrange kids, i rarely use lube as the doe has so much gue that it is sufficient as lubricant. Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: