HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:03:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Items to have on hand during kidding season.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Topic: Items to have on hand during kidding season.  (Read 16374 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 06:11:10 AM »

Grin Grin Grin That's too funny Pat!!!  It would be lovely to use the mint-flavored but, Momma might feel the need to floss after we've tied the babies navals...so we best stick with the regular...rofl...lol... Grin Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »

Gosh Ive never used floss on cords, every now & then if they are really long I will snip two or three inches from belly. Iodine really dries them out fast. Wink
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:13 PM »

OK, serious now.  What kind of container do you use for the navel iodine dip?   Seems that Hoegger suggests the teat dip cup for both iodine and teat cleanser, but I'm wondering if if the Iodine might give an off-flavor to the milk down the road.  Can you get that stinky smell out of a plastic cup?
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »

An old film canister works well, the 7% iodine (Triodine) also comes in spray bottle. Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 05:17:00 AM »

Iodine is a mess, but a miracle working item...navel ill is a terrible thing. ***Note: do not get iodine on your gold rings...it will definitely ruin them---it's best to take all your jewelry off during kidding, in case you have to assist a Doe in delivery.***

I just used a small glass jar.  I got those tiny little cherries in the tiny little jar for a special anniversary treat for hubby and I, and I sterilized it and cleaned it out really good, and used that. 

The dental floss is only needed if the cord of the baby breaks off too close to the tummy...if you don't tie it off, the intestines will fall out and the baby will die...so we need that in our Emergency Vet box at all times when it's kidding season.

I have had to use it a few times for sure.

~ Birdie ~
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »

An old film canister works well, the 7% iodine (Triodine) also comes in spray bottle. Wink

The next time you all are in a kitchen store get the set of those small glass ramekin cups that a single serving of salad dressing comes in. Great for dipping and can be washed and reused.

Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »

Gee you guys made a lot of work for youselves.  Put the iodine in a spray bottle and use that.  Also--we never tie off the cord.  It dries really fast and if too long you can snip it off within about 2 or 3 inches of the tummy.  Just wait till the next day to do it (it will have dried from the iodine.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »

Wear exam or rubber gloves while working with iodine. Same with tattoo ink. Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »

No you don't use the dental floss on normal navels....

you use it when the cord breaks off to close to the tummy, and if that has happened, and you don't use it, then you've lost babies for sure because the intestines and gut falls out...

One member had this happen just this year.  If you don't tie that at the belly, then it's gonna happen.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »

Mama doe almost always does a fantastic job at breaking & cleaning the cord.
I like to dip in the iodine for thorough coverage. If spray bottle hasn't been used for awhile it wont give you a good stream. Sometimes they will get dipped a couple of times if she licks it off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: