HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:03:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Topic: Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm  (Read 35747 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: November 17, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »

I've never experienced Bottle Jaw or had the Barber Pole worm on my farm. 

I DO NOT have a case of it either..however, a friend of mine just called and she was wondering if her baby had bottle jaw, and for the life of me I couldn't find paper work from GW or here in GB on the treatments for that.  I know when they get into Bottle Jaw it usually is accompanied with Anemia as well, and treatments for that are a must.

So, Please..tell me your experience, and your treatment(s) and your outcome.  I would like it if you would post the breed that you had have it, the amounts of medications you gave, and how often.  Be as specific as you can.  This way, people with a specific breed, size, or age will know what to do when they need to search it out. I want to make this a sticky thread, so please make this thread more informational if you would. 

I deeply appreciate your help and your information.  This will help many of our newbies and the elders as well who've never had this happen..I for one have never had it.  Thanks again. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Ace
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:00:53 PM »

Never had a baby with bottle jaw but mature goats with it.  We treated with cydectin & iron supplement but I'll have to look up dosages and get back to you.  It's an uphill battle but one that can be taken care of.  Bottle jaw is a sign of anemia and when it gets to the point of bottle jaw, the anemia is in advance stages, however, not untreatable, just harder to pull them through.  I'll get back soon with how we treated/dosages.  Hope your neighbor's baby pulls through.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:20:54 PM »

Can't help you with the dosages or what to use as I've never had it here.  Guess I'm just lucky.  After you described it on the phone---it sounds much more like a bite or cut or something annoying like that.  Hope things are going okay---I don't think that's what you are coping with.
Pinsprings
Goat Genius

Portrait of Me in Southern Indiana

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 12:49:33 AM »

My Nubian milk doe came down with it at the same time that GW went down as well. I hadn't started milking her because she still had kids on her. She got thin, so I weaned the babies and wormed her with Ivermectin horse paste at three times the horse dosage. She kept going down so I wormed her again in seven days.

Then she developed the bottle jaw and watery eyes. I used injectable Iron at 2 cc's injected IM once a day for 3 days only.

I also gave her a single serving of oatmeal prepared in the microwave, with added molassas, a pinch of loose mineral, 3 tbs. of yogurt, thinned with milk, four times a day. Once a day, I added 5 cc's Vit. B complex to the mixture.

The bottle jaw cleared up very quickly but the anemia was tough to conquer, she didn't care about eating but she loved the oatmeal after awhile, at first I had to drench her because she had lost her will to live.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:13:11 AM »

Can't help you with the dosages or what to use as I've never had it here.  Guess I'm just lucky.  After you described it on the phone---it sounds much more like a bite or cut or something annoying like that.  Hope things are going okay---I don't think that's what you are coping with.

Sally I agree, my neighbors baby doesn't have bottle jaw.  He's gotten himself poked with something.  He'll go to the vet tomorrow.

I am asking this because when I needed the info I for sure thought I had it printed out from GW years ago, but when I got into my notebook with these print outs, I didn't have anything about treating bottle jaw..I had the anemia treatments..which is deeply embedded into my memory..and that I knew how to treat, but there was not one specific thing about bottle jaw in all my print outs or here in GB.  So for future referencing, I figured I start this thread and at least have it here. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:32 PM »

My Nubian milk doe came down with it at the same time that GW went down as well. I hadn't started milking her because she still had kids on her. She got thin, so I weaned the babies and wormed her with Ivermectin horse paste at three times the horse dosage. She kept going down so I wormed her again in seven days.

Then she developed the bottle jaw and watery eyes. I used injectable Iron at 2 cc's injected IM once a day for 3 days only.

I also gave her a single serving of oatmeal prepared in the microwave, with added molassas, a pinch of loose mineral, 3 tbs. of yogurt, thinned with milk, four times a day. Once a day, I added 5 cc's Vit. B complex to the mixture.

The bottle jaw cleared up very quickly but the anemia was tough to conquer, she didn't care about eating but she loved the oatmeal after awhile, at first I had to drench her because she had lost her will to live.

What wormer did you give her?

Levasole is what we used on two twin kids we had who came down with MAJOR bottle jaw!!! Just so happens they got it when GW was down so I had to look up info on the net (an NO GW pages would work on esearches, which was REALLY cruddy!) so I had to completely rely on sources I was unfamiliar with. It was super scary! This is what it looks like: http://www.livestockpros.com/dewormers/levasole__sheep_wormer_bolus.htm

Came across a nifty little site as I was searching: http://bedford.extension.psu.edu/agriculture/goat/Goat%20Parasites.htm

Other articles and sites on bottle jaw:
http://www.goatworld.com/articles/bottlejaw/
http://www.goatworld.com/articles/wormsncsu.shtml
http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/wormsorno.html
http://www.motesclearcreekfarms.com/asp/articles/BottleJaw.asp
http://www.geocities.com/wwacresgoats/WORMS.html

From my experience they recooped very well BUT I will say this: I dont' think I kept a good enough 'recover plan' or not a long enough one. They are both incredibly stunted, the buck is 6 months older then our other buck and probably a good 80lbs lighter. He pulled through with alot of care but I think I should have offered the program for a longer period of time, back then I just didn't know enough to see that he still wans't growing like I wanted.
I treated them with Red Cell, a horse multi vitamin, in their water and drenched them with it on occassion, that's all i did aside from the actually worming. I'm not sure what to suggest but you are all great at thinking up feeding plans and such for recooperation so I bet you can take it from there :P

From what I understand this Levasole is a very dangerous wormer for goats..your girls weren't pregnant when they got it right? 

~ Birdie ~
cariboujaguar
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

They were 6 months, a buck and doe twin sister and brother, kept seperately, coincidental they both got it so I am thinking they got it from their mother since none of my other goats got it. I know it's dangerous but that stuff WORKS! it's not a commonly used wormer around here so when I have major issues and can't figure out a parasitic problem in a goat (As long as it's open/not nursing or is a buck/wether) I use it. I probably use this pill on one or two goats very few years. I had an Alpine doe who was an impossible keeper, she had major worm problems all the time, I used it on her yearly, a month before breeding, it was the only thing that worked on her...
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

I had a kiko/boer doe who developed bottle jaw.  I treated her with Synanthic wormer I got from the vet.  You give it 1 cc per 100 lbs.  So a little goes a long way.  He said this is much better than Ivomec for the barberpole worm.  He told me there wasn't any injectable iron for goats, or maybe he just wouldn't prescribe it.  So I took it upon myself since she wouldn't eat oatmeal. 

I gave her iron twice a day.  I'd crush them up and dissolve them in water.  Then I'd syringe them down her throat.  I got the iron pills from the pharmacy, 65 mg each.  At first I started her on one pill morning and evening for about 2 days.  When I didn't see any improvement, I started giving her 2 pills morning and evening.  I did this for about a week and she cleared right up.  She really hated me after that, but she came right out of it. 

God is good!
Pinsprings
Goat Genius

Portrait of Me in Southern Indiana

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:00:14 AM »

I used Jeffers Ivermectin paste 1.87% because that is what we have on hand for the horses.

I used the injectable iron for pigs. But I did buy some Geritol to have on hand if it ever happens again.

Oregoats
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »

When I first got my goats, two of them were so anemic that their gums/eyelids were white! They were in such bad shape, they were 6 month old Boers and weights were 30 lbs. and 40 lbs..
  Anyway, they were wormed with Safeguard (at the dose on the bottle) Started on Red Cell orally, 5 cc 2 x a day. 2 weeks later, they were wormed with Levasole (bolus form, dose on package). Continued with the Red Cell for two more weeks at the 5 cc 2x daily.
Then 2 more weeks at 5 cc 1 x daily. This was given orally with a syringe. (Doesn't taste bad, ask me how I know Wink)
  At that time they were also being treated with Albon for diarrhea and Duramycin (LA 200) for pneumonia.
  This was all before I even knew about GW. I was pretty much on my own. Must have done something right, because they both recovered and grew very well after that.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth- Albert Einstein
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »

As long as they recovered and did well afterwards, that's all that's necessary Smiley

~ Birdie ~
cariboujaguar
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »

I'm impressed Oregoats! That's allot of good judgement/instincts and know-how! You got skillz girl! LOL
foot
Caprine Guru

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »

..WE have had the displesuse of having "Bottle jaw" In one of our goats In fact we have the same goat now with the "bottle jaw" symptoms 18 months later..We treat with "Ivermectin" and "Redcell"..

..Foot..

(What works for us,may not work for you)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 08:59:47 PM »

that's good Foot. Smiley ty.  I hope this doe comes out of it for you.  You may have to worm that girl more often to prevent her from getting this back again, and try a different wormer.

** a quick note here..Ivermectrin/Ivomec doesn't work well in all areas..so if it's a wormer that's ineffective in your area, you may want to use a different wormer. **

~ Birdie ~
foot
Caprine Guru

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 06:08:05 PM »

Hi  just an update on our "Sugar"  She is much better today.  All symptoms of bottle jaw appear gone.  We wormed her again with Ivermectin injectable 3cc orally by mouth and rell cell twice daily 3 cc's.  Her eylids were white.  She is now eating better and the swelling is gone tonight and eye lids showing some pink.  We will continue to add oatmeal alfalpha and keep a close check on her PINK!
Sugar is my doe that lost her first baby recently hence the stress of pregnancy and losing the kid all fed into the worms taking over.  (Nasty buggers hit them when they are down hardest).  But she is on the mend and will be FAT soon.

FYI ... It is bottle jaw if the swelling goes down in the AM and is blown up again by supper time.  Worming and iron supplements are both necessary to combat bottle jaw. 

Nursing kids get Milk Goiter which is often mistaken for bottle jaw and is nothing to be concerned about.

...foot

(What works for us,may not work for you)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: