HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 02:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19432 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Topic: Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm  (Read 35736 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »

Oh thats wonderful news! Yep, milk goiter can be mistaken for bottle jaw even in the show ring by judges.
Young LaMancha Breeder
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »

Laugh  Congrats on the good news foot.
Kayla223
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »

hello,

we have had bottle jaw... and almost lost our goat too it!

Is she loosing weight? Does she look like she is shrinking?

We used CORID. ( Which you have to get from a vet )

And we used that and it worked great. Smiley She gained her weight back,and started eating again.
B complex, penicillin. are what we also used.
Here in Ohio we are finding that Ivomec plus works best with the goats.

Please let me know how it goes. I am studying to be a vet. Even though I am only in high school i was working with our vet around here till her got out of large animals. Now me and another girl around here are working with all the goat people.
kay_mackey@rocketmail.com
Candace
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »

I'm sorry, Corid is the LAST thing I'd use here, it is for a specific parasite cocci, there have been proven to be much better options out there, Corid if not used correctly and supplemented how needed, can kill a goat, had it happen myself. Someone said "use corrid" without any follow up advise when we had a cocci outbreak years and years ago, and next thing I knew I had dead goats.
Corrid is mainly for a cocci outbreak, as I stated, and there are much better and safer things to use. Corrid will cause goat polio, Goat Polio (Polioencephalomalacia) that is is a metabolic disease, since, as we know Corrid is a thiamine inhibitor...

Also, you are posting to threads that are old, with issues that have been resolved....
cariboujaguar
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »

Yeah NEVER use Corrid, there is NO reason to, there are other more productive, less dangerous treatments for Cocci out there... I dunno why you use cocci treatment for bottle jaw though...
Bottle jaw is a MUCH more complicated recoup and treatment then Cocci... cocci is bad, but BJ is complex and dangerous to treat as many of the strong wormers that work, like levamisole (which noone here suggusted using but I HAVE used to treat this with great success) can cause more bad then good. You need to be very sure to pump the goat full of supplements, B complex, vitamins, etc...

But yeah, this has been treated and resolved I think, which is awesome!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »

I have to question the usage of penicillin on goats with bottle jaw..bottle jaw is a worm issue, not a bacterial issue. 

I too, will ditto what Candace said..DO NOT USE CORRID ON GOATS..it will not work and it definitely causes those side affects.

Kayla, you posted that your goats get frequent bouts of diarrhea..I would seriously research and revamp your worming regimen..swith your wormers and you may see your diarrhea issue go away as well as your frequency of bottle jaw.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »

The other problem is with saying that they have the runs all the time----soft stools can be produced from feed, from water, or just from that particular goat's constitution.  Once in a while you find a goat who doesn't have "nanny berries"--she normally goes with soft movements.  It doesn't mean she has the runs---it's just her or him.  Scours can be a good thing also as they help rid the body of unnecessary waste or over indulgence.
Sandie
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 11:09:57 PM »

hello,

we have had bottle jaw... and almost lost our goat too it!

Is she loosing weight? Does she look like she is shrinking?

We used CORID. ( Which you have to get from a vet )

And we used that and it worked great. Smiley She gained her weight back,and started eating again.
B complex, penicillin. are what we also used.
Here in Ohio we are finding that Ivomec plus works best with the goats.

Please let me know how it goes. I am studying to be a vet. Even though I am only in high school i was working with our vet around here till her got out of large animals. Now me and another girl around here are working with all the goat people.
kay_mackey@rocketmail.com
  things must be different here in Colorado cause i could walk into any one of our local feed stores and buy a gallon of it anytime .  as has been pointed out Corid is not a good thing to use on a goat and it isn't for bottle jaw which is caused by worm overload it is for cocci which is treated in goats successfully with sulmet without the dangerous side issues.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:36 PM »

Same here Sandie, feed stores have it too.
Candace
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 07:44:28 AM »

oh yes, you do not have to get Corrid just from a vet - it is an over the counter med.....you just usually get charged more if a vet gives you it!  Grin
Cartref
Caprine Guru

Australia

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »

I hate to throw a spanner in the cog but Liver Fluke often mistaken for worm overload can also cause bottle jaw.

Susanne
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »

this is where fecal check comes in handy Wink
corid with the correct dosage and at the right time, does not kill goats. it can be great use for cocci prevention.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »

I've noticed in my catalog that some things have certain states they cannot be shipped to. Maybe that is what happened with the corid?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
begnaudfarms
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 09:27:58 AM »

is that bottle jaw causing worm the same as the worms cattle get we always call them a wool
Pinsprings
Goat Genius

Portrait of Me in Southern Indiana

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »

For reference:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: